1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot access a necessary file

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by stwood, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stwood

stwood Thread Starter

When I run norton 1 button checkup, I keep coming up with a problem it cannot seem to fix. I get the message C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\crrun32.exe cannot access a necessary file crpe.dll
    I am experiencing some desktop problems, in that the back ground screen will not stay put. I keep getting the white screen where it says to restore the active desktop, but it will not work when I click on it. I have to go to settings and change screens, get it working, then it does it again.

2. lola2001

lola2001

It sounds like you deleted a .dll file by mistake. Have you uninstalled any applications lately? You should always save the .dll files even if the computer says it's not using them...it lies! Are you up to date with all the latest windows service packs and browser? If so, you could try looking for that particular .dll file either on one of your disks (windows or other app) or downloading it from the internet.

3. stwood

stwood Thread Starter

Yes, I have deleted several programs lately that did not work out or were junk. I haven't updated windows lately, I.E and O.E, as I am running Netscape software at the moment.

4. lola2001

lola2001

Was one of those programs called Crystal Reports?

5. stwood

stwood Thread Starter

No. Just some cabinet software, spybot, and adaware

6. lola2001

lola2001

CRPE.DLL is a file that seems to load with a program called Crystal Reports. I could not find it on the internet for you to download. You either need to find a copy and place it in the appropriate directory or figure out which application it came with and wipe all traces of it from the registry. The first option is the easiest but the second takes care of the problem for good. You could always download Crystal Reports, remove the crpe.dll file and then delete the rest of it if you can't find it anywhere else. I looked and couldn't find anything.

7. stwood

stwood Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll try that. Appreciate it much. Steve

8. lola2001

lola2001

Your quite welcome and keep us posted on your progress so that others may learn from your experience.

9. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Try going to Start>Help and type in System File, then select System File Checker restoring.
    You should be able to click to start the process of checking all your files and replacing any missing ones.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

This is a little clearer.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. stwood

stwood Thread Starter

I did a file search on crrun32.exe and crpe.dll
    Both files are here. The first one [properties] is an App. ext., Crystal Reports Print Engine, Version 2.0
    Second is just an extension to the first.
    Now I haven't replaced or deleted anything yet. I haven't ran a complete system file checker yet.
    SO---how did this get there? Is it something to do with my HP printer, V-40 all in one, or what is it for sure? Should I replace it, delete it, live with it?
    Now, after removing spybot and adaware, I just installed the free version of Spyhunter. Ran it, it came up with lots of stuff, kontiki, etc.
    But I went to remove them, and it told me I had to purchase the software to remove this stuff. Bummer. Guess I will remove Spyhunter.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice