1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Access Any Web Sites after Setting Up Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Screlge, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Screlge

Screlge Thread Starter

:( I can connect to my ISP and read my mail in Outlook, but I cannot access any web sites.I recently installed a small home wireless network and the problem started after that. I have NAV and Spy Sweeper running and am confident that it is not a virus or trojan. I ran SpyBot as a precaution.

I have now uninstalled the Network Software.

I have XP Home and IE6 SP2. I have tried other browsers including, Firefox, but none of them work.

Strangely, and by accident, I discovered, that I can access high security sites such as banks, shopping and the Inland Revenue by logging in directly through Roboform (password manager). I cannot access low security sites in that way though.

Help would be appreciated.

2. blin

blin

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

WINSOCK2 FIX
    =============
    If you can't access the Internet with programs like IE, Outlook Express, or other web browsers, you may have corrupted Winsock entries.

To Remove the existing winsock2 registry entries (regardless of the OS) run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg

To add WindowsXP clean entries back in again, run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_winsock.reg

WINDOWSXP with SP2

There is a new command you can run with SP2 which will reset the Winsock2 registry entries back to their default setting:
    netsh winsock reset catalog

TCP/IP RESET
    =============
    If you need to reset the TCP/IP protocol stack with XP you need to run a small script:

netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name ]

the log_file_name needs to be specified.
    e.g. - netsh int ip reset ip_reset.txt

4. Rockn

Rockn

If you can access those thypes of web sites you are connected to the internet and there is something else going on that is blocking your access to lower level security sites. Disable any firewall and AV software to eliminate them as a source of your problems. If XP has SP2 installed you also need to disable the built-in firewall. This may also be a browser security setting.

5. Screlge

Screlge Thread Starter

Thanks for all that. Nothing has worked so far.

To summarise the situation: I can access and log in to sites with High Grade Encryption with a VeriSign Certificate. I cannot access any other sites using any browser. This arose a few days after I installed a small home wireless network. I have now uninstalled the network software and removed the Adaptors. I have uninstalled Zone Alarm and temporarily disabled NAV, Spy Sweeper and the XP Firewall

I have also:

Uninstalled and reinstalled winsock and winsock2 and TCP/IP. Run the Winsockxp Fix Program. Checked for multiple instances.
    Checked the Host File and run Hoster
    Done a Virus and Trojan Scan
    Made sure the "Use a Proxy Server" checkbox is unchecked
    Made sure there are no Parental Restrictions
    Tried pinging various IP addresses without success (except for local host)
    Restored the IE Security Settings to Default
    Run netsh

What else can I do? :confused:

6. Screlge

Screlge Thread Starter

I have cracked the problem and I can now access all web sites. It seems that my settings in Zone Alarm became corrupted, but when I uninstalled it some setting were left behind. I have now reinstalled it and everything is fine.

Many Thanks to everybody for their efforts.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad you got fixed. It's amazing how frequently a software firewall causes a variety of problems for a variety of reasons.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice