1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot access Citicards secure sites work fine

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by stipan, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stipan

stipan Thread Starter

I cannot access Citicards and World Bank Websites www.citicards.com and www.worldbank.org
    I have tried changing all the advanced options in my Internet Explorer browser (IE 6.0) and I have tried with newest versions of Netscape, Mozilla and Opera browsers without any success. I don't think it's the browser. In Internet Explorer I always get the Page cannot be displayed message or I get redirected by Yahoo to "web results". Secure sites like PayPal work fine. Java is OK. I do not use a firewall and I don't think it's the Internet provider either. My OS is Windows 98. It's extremely annoying as I need to pay my bills. Citicard people weren't able to help.

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

If you're having problems logging in, they it has do do with Internet options settings.

Within Internet Explorer 6.0

Tools | Internet Options

Security Tab -
    Click on "Internet Zone" and click "Default Level" button

Privacy Tab -
    Drag the slider down to the bottom, it will then read "Accept All Cookies"

Click "Apply", then OK
    Close Internet Explorer completely and then reopen & test

Good Luck!

ST

3. stipan

stipan Thread Starter

I did that before and I redid it again just to make sure. Nope, didn't work. I spent hours trying to figure it out and I have tried just about everything. Maybe if I hit it with a chair...
    Hmmm...

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Be sure the date is correct on your computer....also turn off pop up blocking software.

5. stipan

stipan Thread Starter

The date is correct and there's no anti-popup software.

6. ~Candy~

Can you post your startup items. Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

I also take it you've restarted the computer?

7. stipan

stipan Thread Starter

ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    a-winpoet-service Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\WinPoET\winpppoverethernet.exe"
    internat.exe Registry (Machine Run) internat.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    vptray Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\vptray.exe
    TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    rtvscn95 Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\rtvscn95.exe
    defwatch Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\defwatch.exe

About Norton. I have tried uninstalling it and I still wasn't able to access the websites.
    Thanks for the help.

8. ~Candy~

Clean startup list, although I would dump the realsched.exe from starting up...you may have to do that via real player itself.....not the cause for your problem, just an observation.

Have you tried adding the two sites to your trusted sites?

9. stipan

stipan Thread Starter

Yes, I tried adding them to trusted sites before but it didn't work.
    Clean it? From things I don't need? When I'm not sure what something is I leave it. I upgraded the Real Player a few days ago but I will certainly remove it from there.

10. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Go to Start/find/files-folders. Type in hosts and click find now. If any files are listed without the ".sam" extension, right click on them and delete them. They will be re-created the next time you visit the particular site they refer to if they are needed.

You might also clear the cookies, temp files, etc in Internet Explorer.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

11. stipan

stipan Thread Starter

I have found four SAM files but nothing else. I have cleared cookies etc. in IE many times including today. No result.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice