cannot access Citicards secure sites work fine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stipan

I cannot access Citicards and World Bank Websites www.citicards.com and www.worldbank.org
I have tried changing all the advanced options in my Internet Explorer browser (IE 6.0) and I have tried with newest versions of Netscape, Mozilla and Opera browsers without any success. I don't think it's the browser. In Internet Explorer I always get the Page cannot be displayed message or I get redirected by Yahoo to "web results". Secure sites like PayPal work fine. Java is OK. I do not use a firewall and I don't think it's the Internet provider either. My OS is Windows 98. It's extremely annoying as I need to pay my bills. Citicard people weren't able to help.

If you're having problems logging in, they it has do do with Internet options settings.

Within Internet Explorer 6.0

Tools | Internet Options

Security Tab -
Click on "Internet Zone" and click "Default Level" button

Privacy Tab -
Drag the slider down to the bottom, it will then read "Accept All Cookies"

Click "Apply", then OK
Close Internet Explorer completely and then reopen & test

Good Luck!

ST

stipan

I did that before and I redid it again just to make sure. Nope, didn't work. I spent hours trying to figure it out and I have tried just about everything. Maybe if I hit it with a chair...
Hmmm...

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Be sure the date is correct on your computer....also turn off pop up blocking software.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you post your startup items. Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

I also take it you've restarted the computer?

stipan

ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
a-winpoet-service Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\WinPoET\winpppoverethernet.exe"
internat.exe Registry (Machine Run) internat.exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
vptray Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\vptray.exe
TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
rtvscn95 Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\rtvscn95.exe
defwatch Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\defwatch.exe

About Norton. I have tried uninstalling it and I still wasn't able to access the websites.
Thanks for the help.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Clean startup list, although I would dump the realsched.exe from starting up...you may have to do that via real player itself.....not the cause for your problem, just an observation.

Have you tried adding the two sites to your trusted sites?

stipan

Yes, I tried adding them to trusted sites before but it didn't work.
Clean it? From things I don't need? When I'm not sure what something is I leave it. I upgraded the Real Player a few days ago but I will certainly remove it from there.

Go to Start/find/files-folders. Type in hosts and click find now. If any files are listed without the ".sam" extension, right click on them and delete them. They will be re-created the next time you visit the particular site they refer to if they are needed.

You might also clear the cookies, temp files, etc in Internet Explorer.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

stipan

I have found four SAM files but nothing else. I have cleared cookies etc. in IE many times including today. No result.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online