1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot access internet via my DVR

Discussion in 'Networking' started by greensourcegardens, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greensourcegardens

greensourcegardens Thread Starter

I have been trying to connect my security DVR to the internet and not having any luck. It shows up in my router as a recognized device through an assigned DHCP IP ... but I can't get my DVR to speak to the internet. I am a real newbie to networking troubleshooting so please bear with me! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What's the purpose of you wanting the DVR to touch the Internet? Are you trying to remotely access the DVR across the Internet?

greensourcegardens likes this.
  3. greensourcegardens

greensourcegardens Thread Starter

I actually only want to use the Email function...so that I can get alerts if a camera malfunctions. I don't need to remote view the cameras.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi, and welcome to TSG.

Does your DVR have a web page based interface that you are supposed to be able to access using a computer on your local network? If so, are you able to access it with your web browser?

Is the DVR supposed to use one of your existing email accounts for the outgoing mail?

5. zx10guy

How are you testing Internet connectivity from the DVR?

6. KKLC

KKLC

after your DVR gets an IP from DHCP, did you port forward the DVR ports in your router? This is needed to get the DVR accessible from internet. Different model or brand of DVR use different ports so that i can't specify which ports you need to port forward.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I believe one only needs to be concerned with port forwarding if they need to access the DVR from the Internet. Having the DVR connect to an outbound mail server in order to email alerts about camera problems should not require any port forwarding.

8. zx10guy

Chuck,

This is correct. No port forwarding is necessary when we're dealing with out bound connections. This scenario is no different than your laptop accessing the Internet. One wouldn't set up port forwarding for your laptop to just access the Internet.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice