1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Access Maxtor One Touch External HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Senojev, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Senojev

Senojev Thread Starter

I just installed a new hard drive in my Dell Inspiron 9200 due to previous HD failure. Reinstalled Win XP successfully and was hoping to restore my files from my external HD, a 200G Maxtor One Touch using Acronis True Image. My problem is that my computer does not show Drives E and F (the partitions on my ext. HD). I have tried all the recommended easy fixes, including changing cable, powering down, rebooting, etc. When I plug the drive in it is recognized as a USB Mass Storage Device In "Safely Remove Hardware". In Device Manager, the HD is listed. HD was working at last backup before Dell HD failed. Just connected to another PC with same results.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot from here?

2. Parkman

Parkman

Can you see any partitions in the disk management utility or does it just see the USB drive as unallocated disk space? Disk management is accessed by right clicking my computer, go to manage, then to disk management while in computer management utility. Also does your system have any USB card readers or anything.

3. Senojev

Senojev Thread Starter

In disk management, the disk shows up as Disk 1 "not initialized" with "189.92 GB unallocated". I have no other accessories installed.

4. Parkman

Parkman

I would try Uninstalling everything listed under USB in device manager, then restart your system and let it reload the drivers and pray! Disk management signs are not good at this point.

5. Senojev

Senojev Thread Starter

Would this advice work even if I had the same problem with the HD on another PC? Another suggestion I have seen on another forum is to try to fix the HD's MBR? Is this something I should pursue?

6. Parkman

Parkman

WHat kind of data is on this external drive. Are they Image Files of your old OS? Have you tried booting to your Acronis CD and tried to ID the drives that way? I personally wouldnt fix/chk/repair anything on the disk until all 3rd party ways of identifying the data are exausted.

7. Senojev

Senojev Thread Starter

The external drive is split into two partitions, one holds a full backup using Acronis True Image, the other is about 90 GB of music. I haven't tried booting to Acronis because it appeared my ext. HD was dead. I will try Acronis and attempt to ID the drives b4 I do anything else. Thanks.

8. Senojev

Senojev Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Parkman. I could not get True Image to recognize the drive but I shelled out for Acronis Disk Director Suite and used Recovery Expert to search for deleted partitions on my system. It did identify both E and F drives after about an hour run and so far re-created the Master Boot Record for E successfully. All my music is now readily available!!!! I'm busy burning to DVDs b4 I try to re-create the MBR for F. Product was very simple to use.

Thanks for your suggestions and I hope this thread can help someone else out.

9. the1voice

the1voice

To Senojev and Parkman,

The fix you came up with for fixing a deleted MBR was RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for posting it. Oh, and I would have to thank the internet and the webmaster for making this information possible as well. :)

Now, does anyone know of a fix to get a hard drive motor to spin? I have two HDs that don't spin. Popped the lids to try and give the disks a helping spin long enough to transfer data to a new drive, but they are totally dead. Tried the freezer trick, but that did not work.

Thanks
    The1voice.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice