1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot access one website only

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Stramala, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stramala

Stramala Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I know this is a common problem, but I haven't found a solution by reading through old threads so going to post a new one.

So, I can't access one, and only one website. I haven't been able to for over two weeks now. However from my university network there is no such problem and it works fine, it's just on my laptop at home.

Basically, the browser just hangs. It never even reaches a 5XX error page, it just hangs infinitely. Regardless of browser used; Firefox, Chrome, IE, the lot. Cache cleared on all browsers, DNS flushed, rebooted PC several times since first occurence of the problem, tried to access in Safe Mode with Networking, all the usual stuff. No effect. And, naturally, I did a full system sweep with Malwarebytes, which found nothing.

This is where it gets more confusing. My girlfriend used her laptop to access the website over the same WiFi network and it worked fine. I used Chrome on my Android handset over the same WiFi network, and it worked. So, just to see if it made any difference, I reassigned the MAC address of my laptop on the network. Did nothing.

And now the really confusing part. I ran the tracert command in Command Prompt. This was the result;

It got there without any connection failures or time-outs. So why can't any of my browsers do the same thing? The problem must be originating from my machine rather than the network, seeing as any other device I connect can load the website no problem. I'm at a loss to what else I can try to get this website to load, any suggestions?

Thanks (y)

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    can you get to the site by IP? http://217.27.250.165/

Are you using any proxy servers?
    Has anything changed around about the same time?
    Do you have any security software such as Norton or McAfee?
    Can you provide us with a log of your ipconfig/all output, and also if possible try connecting your computer directly to the modem, unless your modem is also the router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice