1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot access other computers on LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lexsar, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

I have set up a LAN to access the internet through multiple PC's (3 - #1 running NT Workstation 4.0, #2 running Win 2k Pro, #3 running Win 95). All can access the internet (Cable modem through SMC hardwire router) and all can ping eachother but cannot access files on any other PC. NetBEUI is enabled on all. Sharing is enabled on all. Printer is attached to the Win 95 machine and I can access that only from the Win 2K Pro machine, the Win NT machine cannot see printer to add. Any ideas?

2. dai

dai

have you enabled file and printer sharing

3. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

Yes, file & print sharing is enabled on all PCs.

4. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

what sp does nt4 have installed?

5. dai

dai

do you have ntfs or fat 32 on the other computers

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This would have absolutely no bearing on the network operation.

7. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

Service Pack 6, NTFS file format.

I have double checked and re-initialized file sharing on all PC's I can now can see the other PC's from the Win95 box and the Win 2K Pro box but not from the NT box. However, if I attempt to access files on another PC I am asked for a password even though I have no password protection on any of the PC's. What can I do to get around this?

8. play1998

play1998

where is it asking for from win95 to the win2k right, well if this is true then what needs to be done is you first need to create a user and pw on the 2k computer for the win95 box, then in the win95 box you need to log in to the network with that so like that it does not ask you for the uid and pw any more.

9. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

You have to have user accounts set up on all machines.
    And make sure you log on to Windows networking.
    You have "Client for MS Networks" on all machines?
    Make sure that you enable sharing permissions on at least one folder (that is in addition to enabling File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks) on each machine.
    You might also try shutting everything off, then boot the 2K first then 95 and last NT4. Sometimes it takes a while for all computers to see each other even if everything is configured correctly.

:D (y)

10. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

If I try and access the Win2K box from the Win95 box in network neighborhood, I get a dialog box called "Enter Network Password" and the first line is: //new1/IPC$ (which is not changable) and there is a space to enter a password. The Win2K box is called new1 but I don't know what the IPC$ is about. There is no account on the Win2K machine called IPC!?!?

Verified that I have Client for MS Networks activated on Win2K and Win95 boxes. I cannot find a Client for MS Networks on the NT box. The only choices in Network Properties in Select Network Services that are not already active is:
    Client Service for Netware
    Network Monitor Agent
    Microsoft Peer Web Server
    Remote Management
    Simple TCP/IP Services

A simular thing happens when I try to access the NT box from either of the other 2 PC's, get a computer name of \\cpi_a1.

11. play1998

play1998

ok ok here it goes first on the 2k computer you need to craate a user on the admin side preferably and put it in admin group. for expample here is how it will be username and pw

win95box:login

then on the 95box log off and make sure use the network login option for the 95 box and then when askf or the user name and pw for the network you put win95box for user id and login for pw. What happen is in order to share the folder on the 2k box it needs to authenticate to the box account if it can't then it will not grant you access. that is why the ipc$ comes on, that is the default share, for example for network admin if the are on a computer on the network but they do not have access from the computer and don't know the folder for another computer they can simply just get the ip and point to the ipc$ and connect to it even though that computer does not have a shared folder :).

if you follow those steps then should not ask you for that anyt more if it does then just put in login again for the pw and that is it :) you should be on dude

hope it helps

Ed

12. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

another important point:
    Give your computer a unique computer name and a workgroup name. Each computer on your network should have a unique computer name and the SAME workgroup name. Keep the workgroup name simple to avoid typo’s. Example: MYNETWORK.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/HomeNet-Win98P1.asp

13. Simpletown

Simpletown

Dont forget to actually share the folders you want, sometimes people forget that.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice