1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot access program files or system registrty - xp sp3

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by DaveInBarrington, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveInBarrington

DaveInBarrington Thread Starter

I got a backup PC from someone and was told it was clean. The dozen or so times I used it all as well. There was no AV protection on this unit, though, so I decided to download AVG and Malwarebytes. I must have stupidly opened an infected email before doing this, however.

I'll use AVG as an example. I can access the AVG site and start he download process. The first download takes when I click RUN. When the second window then appaears and I click on RUN again, a pop-up in the lower right of the screen states I cannot proceed because of infected files and suggests I install an anti-virus proram. (duh, that's what I was trying to do) The pop-up keeps appearing from what seems to be a Microsoft site (System Care Antivirus). It pops up virtually every time I click on anything new or to change a page while in a site. It warns that there is a worm and gives me a choice, to continue unpotected or to get THEIR protection ($60 for 1st 6 months).

I called my son and he believes the problem is caused by H KEY-Current_Usesr\software\Microsoft\windows\curentvesion\runones "[random]"

To make matters worse, when I try to get into the registry the attempt is denied. The system program files will also not open, the message stating the files are infected and cannot be opened and to install an AV program. Of course, the only AV program I am permitted to install is theirs.

I'm not a newbie but far from an expert. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a virus that is a scam? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1105194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice