1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot access Safe Mode - suspect Vundo

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dad16000, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dad16000

dad16000 Thread Starter

My computer was infected with the Vundo virus. I first noticed it when the desktop icons blanked. I ran Anti-Virus programs; however, they would only loop once they finished. I booted into safe mode (icons still disappeared) and tried from there--still would loop (used McAfee, Anvir, etc). Anvir found Vundo but would also loop. Manually tracked down offending files and deleted them, edited out entries in registry so it would not access them, and set computer to boot into safe mode. Upon reboot, computer now asked for password for both Admin and my account (did not have one before). Used Ultimate Boot CD for Windows re-ran virus checker and Spybot both cleared files. Attempted to access SAM file; however, it was locked from user access as was C:\Windows\system32\config\default. Used Password Renew to set up another account with Admin access. Now the system will not boot. Attempts to go to the Safe Mode password logon screen and resets. I have a DriveXML backup that is one year old. I do not want to use it. Is there some way to fix this? I feel like I am close to correcting the issue. This nasty bug has stopped me at every turn. Any help would be appreciated.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Please see the TSG Rules, we no longer provide any help with lost passwords. Obviously, we can't determine the real intent here, so our policy is to abstain from any assistance in these matters.

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice