1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot access selected files in shared folder

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LimitProof, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LimitProof

LimitProof Thread Starter

Hi all,

This is a problem that's been bothering me for days. I use an older computer (Windows XP Professional, SP2) that's relatively slow, but has a decent amount of disk space to store some of my files. While I store files on there, I prefer to access the files using my newer computer (Windows XP Home, SP2) since it's faster to extract/unzip files.

I can access all the folders & subfolders in the Shareddocs directory of my old computer perfectly, *except* ZIP/RAR files. Once I unzip the archive, my new computer can access all the files. But if I try to use my new computer to unzip the archives, it's telling me that it cannot find the file & that I don't have permissions for it.

So far, I've tried unchecking the "Simple File Sharing" box, and checking the permissions, and I have given everyone Full Control on my old computer. But I am still unable to extract/view the archives.

Any idea what might be wrong? I can just unzip everything on the old computer, but it's so horrendously slow I'd like some sort of solution to this.

Thanks in advance!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Random shared files/folders not seen

8.3 naming disabled can cause random shared files/folders to not show across the network.

Windows XP uses two different names for each file on your computer. One is the name that you see in explorer and in the command prompt, and the other is an MSDOS compatible 8.3 (8 character title followed by a '.' Then three more characters to indicate the type of file) name. To enable the 8.3 naming convention:

Open REGEDIT (Start, Run, regedit)

Navigate to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ System\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ FileSystem

Change the value of the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to '0'

3. LimitProof

Thanks for your response!

I navigated there and it appears that the option is already set to 0. See screenshot.

And I should probably clarify - it's not that I can't see the files, it's that I can't open them. So for example, I can open the "Project1" folder and open any wav files inside there from the new computer without a problem. However, if I try to open Project2.zip, WinRAR gives me an error about not being able to find the file and does not allow me to extract anything. Once I extract on the old computer, once again, all the files becomes accessible.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I didn't read closely enough.

Do the containing folders have network write permission? Extraction means files will be written.

5. LimitProof

I've set the permissions for Everyone to "Full Control," "Change" and "Read" for the shared folder. I've also right-clicked and checked the Permissions tab on the individual files themselves and again, everyone has full permissions to change/read the files. Right now, even when I don't try to extract and just try to open the archive to view the files, it's not working, and I have no idea what could be wrong.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice