1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Access Shared Folders ???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BearKiller, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

I often have an intermittent problem with access to shared folders on various machines on our home network.
    I have went into advanced sharing of all folders in question and I cannot see any way to make them any more shared than I already have them.

I may try to get a file from a one computer for use in another and no matter what I try I constantly get this :

Permissions Denied Alert.jpg

I am the network administrator and I cannot figure out why things decide to not work.

I may have been able to access the files yesterday and it may allow me to access them tomorrow.

This is very annoying and somewhat frustrating.

How do I fix ?

Thanks for reading.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is this on w "Domain" network of the standard Windows Network?

Where are you finding this "Programs and Applications" folder?

3. BearKiller

I do not know what w "Domain" network is; we have four machines, all Windows 7, and all hard-wired to our router; just a simple home network.

"Programs and Applications" is a folder of my own creation and is just a random example of the many that I am having problems accessing; I cannot even access any of the "Public" folders from one particular machine on another; yet, I can access them from the other two machines.

I hope my description of the problem is making sense.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What is the FULL path of this "Programs and Applications" folder?
    Have you shared it for all users?

5. BearKiller

Network > ComputerName > Programs and Applications

The folder and all others that are giving me problems are shared with full access to "everyone"

I just did a bit of experimenting; we have four Windows 7 machines all hardwired to the router; although Machine-A refuses to access several folders on Machine-C, I can immediately access those same Machine-C folders on Machine-D; and Machine-A can access folders on Machine-D.

All the various advanced sharing protocols are active on all machines; Network discovery is ON, sharing is ON, full read/write access for "everyone" is ON, password protection is OFF; there is no logical reason I can find for me not to be able to access those folders.

Thanks for reading.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Do all machines have passworded user accounts?

Another trick, is the have the same user name and password accounts on ALL machines.
    This account does not have to be in use, just fully set up. I use a "Back door" account on all machines. This allows me to get access to the machine if the normal accounts get clobbered.

7. BearKiller

All machines have a unique pass-worded user account with administrator privileges; plus, a separate single administrator account is set up on all four.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice