1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot access some web sites...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jayconnolly, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jayconnolly

jayconnolly Thread Starter

I hope someone can help.

I cant access some random websites with varying IP's and I believe I have tried everything.

I have read and applied nearly every 'solution' posted on forums etc..

I called my ISP and they said that the problem was 'my end' after a half hour of getting nowhere with the issue, even though I tried accessing these addresses using 3 different computers.

I am desperate now, I have no idea what the problem could be.

If I call my ISP again I will have to ask them what to look for as they are useless.

Does anyone know what the issue could be at their end (my ISP)?

I'm losing my mind here :confused:

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Well I am sorry that you cannot find any help with your ISP, I will be glad to assist you with this issue as It will be one of my top priorities on this site.

First off, Is it all sites or limited sites that you cannot access?

Second, How much do you know about DNS and IPCONFIG?

Third, Are you using a router or are you connected directly to the modem.

Fourth, If you are connected through a router, which DNS servers are you using, if not the ones provided by your ISP?

Fifth, If you are not using any DNS servers, I recommend using these.
    --> Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    --> Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

Let me know if this solved your issue.

3. jayconnolly

Thank you!

First off, Is it all sites or limited sites that you cannot access?

Limited sites, 3 varieties for example - members.boardhost.com - merchantexpress.com - whodareswins.com

Second, How much do you know about DNS and IPCONFIG?

I know the basics, I have already reset IP settings, released and renewed and I have flushed the DNS, restarted the modem etc...

Third, Are you using a router or are you connected directly to the modem.

I have tried accessing the pages that are timing out in a variety of ways, through a router, directly to a router, different browsers, different computers, firewall on off, all spyware and malware has been removed as well as any viruses etc..

Fourth, If you are connected through a router, which DNS servers are you using, if not the ones provided by your ISP?

I contacted my ISP again 'Virgin UK' it went to a supervisor who said it must be a 'routing problem' and that for now I should use 'opendns.com', I have done with the below addresses :) I changed the DNS settings in the router and on my PC (XP SP3). Still no joy!

--> Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    --> Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

Any ideas? I need to access some of my sites for work and it's going to cost me as I cant access via ftp either, I have wasted a day on this, utterly stuck.

Thanks again.

4. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Try to PING one of the websites that you cannot access and see if you recieve a response from their servers.

5. jayconnolly

I did that, it times out. :(

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

TRACERT <URL of problem site>

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

7. jayconnolly

Thanks for the tips, (the tracecrt timed out at my ISP).

I gave up on speaking to my ISP 'Virgin Broadband' at 4.30 am after calling them, roughly 15 times, I got through 5 times over the space of 4 hours.

The first technician didn't know what I was talking about and when I asked to speak to a supervisor he hung up. This was after waiting on hold for 1 hour to get through.

The next technician I spoke to answered everything I said with 'how can I help you', obviously thought he was a comedian. For the record I kept calm. I kept asking him 'Can I take your name?', 'Can I speak to a supervisor' to which he kept up with the same reply 'how can I help you?'. I had no choice but to hang up and try again.

Next time I got through after another 30mins wait, I asked the technician if she had a record of my call in the daytime (I had asked the tech to make a note so I didn't have to keep going through the issue). She said 'Yes, how can I help you.' I asked if I could speak to a supervisor, she said 'Yes wait 2 minutes please.' I waited 20 then the line went dead.

By this point I was pretty pissed off, but wasn't about to give in. After another 10 minute wait, I asked the technician her name (a different lady), she said 'I will get a supervisor' and the phone went dead.

I had lost the will to live at this point and called it a day, I lodged a formal complaint via a form on the website.

Thought I would share this to warn people that Virgin Broadband technical support is probably the worst I have ever dealt with, if you are thinking of joining Virgin, my advice is to think about grating your face off first as I imagine it would be a lot more enjoyable.

The good news is that I got up today expecting another day of turmoil on the phone but my everything is back to normal. :eek:

It was the strangest issue I have ever come across and I guess I will never know what the problem was.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm glad they're not my ISP! :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice