1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot access the shares from workgroup to domain

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by raj_kalangutkar, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raj_kalangutkar

raj_kalangutkar Thread Starter

Hi there is a linux domain controller already setup and clients log on to the domain. A temporary user has just joined this office and she is using a laptop. The domain name is MATRIX. The users system is kept on the workgroup itself. Not changed over to the domain. Now she wants to access the files which are stored on a system which is logged on to the domain. Thing is that she can see the shared folders but then wen she tries to access the folder then she gets the msg saying that "access denied : you do not have the permission to access the files on this system. Please contact the system administrator". What i feel is that she should atleast get prompted for authentication. That does not happen either. So is there anyway she can access the files from that system which is logged on to the domain?
    Thanks guys.. Urgent help please

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Not sure on Linux, but a windows domain server can be accessed by using what is called pass-through authentication" without actually joining the domain, I have seen this done for Windows XP Home on a Windows Domain network.

I would be willing to bet the laptop user account has to be entered into the Linux server, would require a the server admin to do this.

I bet you would get a more informed answer on the Linux forum

http://forums.techguy.org/22-unix-linux/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice