1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Access Various Websites (Microsoft.com, Paypal, etc.)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tom59593, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom59593

tom59593 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure out this weird issue for a couple of weeks now, but I haven't had any luck. The problem is that I can't access a few key sites, namely microsoft.com and paypal. When I attempt to go to these sites (or any of their sup-pages...such as a support thread on microsoft.com), I get a 'could not find webpage' error in all browsers (chrome, ff, ie, safari, and opera tested so far).

A laptop on the same wireless connection as me can access these sites without any issues, so it's definitely something to do with this particular unit.

Some things I've looked at:
    1. MTU settings are manually set to 1500 in my router
    2. My HOSTS file contains nothing except the default contents with # on the left
    3. I have no firewall installed

The first two are the most common things I find when I search around online for this issue, so I've tried those plenty of times.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you can provide!

THANKS!!!

2. tom59593

tom59593 Thread Starter

I've also found that I can't 'connect to xbox' in Windows 8. Not that it's terribly important, but it IS a Microsoft product and I assumed the two might be linked.

Any thoughts?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice