1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot access Win/7 files from XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MikeHB, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeHB

MikeHB Thread Starter

(Apologies if this question has already been posted and answered. I looked but didn't find it...)

I used to have a home network of two XP machines, but I recently replaced one of them with a Win/7 machine. Since then I have had permissions problems whenever I try to read data from one machine to the other. I have followed all the steps I could find: I made all the files on the Win/7 shareable ("Everyone"), I created a working group with a common name, I renamed the accounts and passwords so they would be the same on both computers, I even enabled NetBios over TCP/IP on the XP. But the problem remains: each computer can see the other, but when I try to open the high-level folders I get a "permission denied" response.

Any suggestions about what else I need to do to get it working properly?

Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Network and Sharing Center - is your network designated "Home"? If so, click on Change advanced sharing settings - Home or Work - please tell us your selections for the various (I think 7) choices.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice