1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot access windows after win repair -- safe mode & repair setup conflicts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CoCoGirl886, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoCoGirl886

CoCoGirl886 Thread Starter

My problem started last night as I was trying to boot in safe mode with networking to install and update malwarebytes to get rid of a spyware problem. I was unable to start my computer with safemode using f8, so I used the misconfig boot.ini method and selected safeboot with networking. Then I was able to get to the boot sequence menu, but whichever option I picked (safe mode, normal, last working configuration, etc), the computer just restarts.

Then I tried to repair windows with the xp cd and it completed at 100% and needed to "restart to finish the setup process." However, right now whenever it restarts, it will automatically go into safe mode, and I would get an alert saying "'win xp setup cannot run under safemode. Setup will restart now." I have tried pressing okay, x-ing it out and a manual shutdown. But whatever I do, the same cycle will happen over and over again :(.

I later found out about the f5 key and tried using that to boot normally, but it still goes into safe mode. My question is.. is there a way to override the msconfig settings so that my computer can boot normally and finish the setup process, OR to get the setup NOT to finish so that I can change the msconfig settings back to original.

I would really like to backup my files before doing a reformat. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance :cool:

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

First of all you could use any Linux Live-cd program to make a bootable cd from a downloaded iso file and then boot to Linux and then copy and paste whatever files you need to a usb flash drive or external hard drive.
    What I would suggest first though is boot to first "r" for Recovery Console and run "chkdsk /r" to repair the hard drive.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

3. CoCoGirl886

CoCoGirl886 Thread Starter

Thanks for your prompt reply! I'll try that as soon as I can and let you know how it goes. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/884994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice