1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot acquire network address & a cable unplugged?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by king_of_typoz, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. king_of_typoz

king_of_typoz Thread Starter

I have been piggybacking routers to 2 towers, my ps3 & a bluray player for well over a year with no problems then all of a sudden i get nothing from the 2nd router to the 2nd tower, ps3 or the bluray player. So i thought my router fried & i bought a new 1, but its doing the same thing with the new router trying to acquire network address unsuccessfully then saying that a cable is unplugged when its clearly not. But if i unplug the main ethernet cable from the 2nd router & plug it directly into the 2nd tower it connects just fine :confused:...i dont understand what happened. help pls!!!

btw Merry Christmas everyone :)

2. king_of_typoz

Sorry i forgot to mention my provider is comcast & the 1st router is a netgear router provided by comcast & my original 2nd router is a gigafast ethernet ez800-s & the "new" 1 is a D-link di-604

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm assuming that "piggybacking" means to connect the WAN of the second router to a LAN port of the first.

Usually the only problem with this set up is if both routers try to use the same LAN IP subnet. For example, if both use 192.168.1.x change one of them to use 192.168.3.x.

Do you get a good connection (IP configuration assigned by the router) if you connect a computer but nothing else but electricity to the new router?

4. king_of_typoz

yes piggybacking 2 routers via 1st WAN 2nd LAN...i thought when i woke up this morning it was back up, it said on the 2nd tower was connected but i couldnt access the net.

that is 1 thing i havnt tried yet was changing the IP but i wasnt sure about all the other info it was asking about so i have been hesitant.

5. king_of_typoz

ok so i was able to get to work but it only seems to work for a couple hrs then it starts again with not being able to to acquire the network address & saying its unplugged. i got it to do that twice & now i cant even get it to do that...the lights to the tower & ps3 (i havnt even bothered with the bluray player) on the 2nd router are very inconsistent & sometimes not on at all for a few seconds...i am at a total loss.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice