1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot acquire network address

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bewmaster182, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bewmaster182

bewmaster182 Thread Starter

My computer is stuck on accruing network address, here is the story

My computer became infected with Win AntiVirus Pro a while ago and I was finally able to remove it using spy-bot and ad-aware. (I mention this since it seems to be the last thing I was doing before the problem started) Problem is the next day I was unable to connect to the internet.
    I tired to repair the connection, however as soon as I clicked repair I was immediately advised “windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: renewing your IP address. For assistance, contact the person the manages your network.”
    I did contact my ISP and was unable to fix the problem after about 3 hours of troubleshooting. I tried running thorough the Ethernet port and a usb. I am convinced as is my ISP that it is a problem with the computer, not the service, as I can connect to the internet when I plug the modem into a different computer.
    When I type in ipconfig /renew I get the message: An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: The RPC server is unavailable.
    I have a dell dimension dim 4500 with windows xp(2002). The modem is connected directly to the computer.
    I feel stuck between a rock and hard place since My computer tells me it’s a ISP problem and my ISP tells me it’s a computer problem.
    Can anyone help?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "The RPC server is unavailable."

Server? Sure it wasn't "service"? If it was service: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service should be started and its Startup Type should be 'Automatic.'

3. bewmaster182

bewmaster182 Thread Starter

UPDATE*********** UPDATE*********** UPDATE***********

I could not get an IP address because The DHCP Client would not start since it depended on a nonexistent service: SYMTDI. I fixed this by going to the Registry Editor and did a Ctrl + F for SYMTDI, I then modified every entry that had SYMTDI in it by simply removing SYMTDI from the vaule data. Once this was done, I was able to get an IP address. However, the connection is now stuck on limited or no connectivity.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Opinion: after an infection you can format the disk and install a fresh copy of Windows and get on with your life; or you can spend days "peeling the onion" to try to get everything working again. End of Opinion.

Unplug the modem. If you are using the USB connection re-install the modem USB software. Disconnect all other computers. Connect problem PC, plug in modem, boot PC.

If still have problem ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/634379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice