1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot acquire network address

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by adge75, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adge75

adge75 Thread Starter

I bring my laptop to work every day. I have no problem automatically logging onto the network and using the internet and the wireless printer at work. However, when I come home it will give me a strong signal of my wireless network BUT my internet connection is stuck on "acquiring network address" and always fails to log me on. I try repairing my network connection and that doesn't work either. In order to connect to the internet I have to go to the wireless router and modem and unplug everything, wait a minute, and plug everything back in before it finally connects me to the internet. I recently added a network key (in order to secure my network). I was also messing around with the windows firewall and I must have changed one of my settings either there or on my router because ever since then I have not been able to automatically connect here at home AND it my laptop doesn't see my wireless printer either. This is really frustrating me. I don't want to have to go through the trouble of disconnecting my router every day in order to use the internet at home. PLEASE HELP! I use Linksys wrk54g and have windows XP, and IE v.74G WRK54GWRK54G

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you are finished using your home wireless what do you do? Meaning, disconnect from the wireless, or hibernate, or standby, or shutdown?

Same question for when you are finished using the wireless at work.

Does you home router normally get reset from one evening to the next (not counting when you power cycle it to get your PC connected)?

3. adge75

adge75 Thread Starter

I usually log out or hibernate when i get off the computer at work or at home. however, today, when i turned on my computer it automatically picked up my internet? I don't know what's going on. Sometimes it picks up the internet and sometimes it doesn't (here at home)

4. MatthewCoakley

MatthewCoakley

Hi,
    Maybe if you turn off your laptop when coming home from work, then turn it back on, it will automatically pick up the connection, just an idea

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes networking doesn't work after hibernation. If you are going to hibernate the laptop during transport try disconnecting from the network (e.g., switch the wireless off) before hibernating.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/818547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice