1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot activate Vista Home Premium & Locked Out!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Brent8811, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent8811

Brent8811 Thread Starter

Hello everyone I have a major major problem here...

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Vista Home Premium (32-bits) installed. After more than 5 years of normal use, my laptop suddenly gives me the following message:

Windows Vista (TM)
    Build 6000
    This copy of Windows is not genuine

At this point I am locked out and cannot get to my desktop.

I know for certain my copy is genuine; I purchased it from a major retailer.
    When I start windows in Safe Mode, I do not get the message mentioned above – however I cannot connect to the internet. I can open my home page but cannot connect to any other websites.

After a few minutes of starting windows normally, a window appears giving me the opportunity to activate my Vista OS.

After entering my VALID product key (located on bottom of laptop) numerous times, here is the result:

- - “Activating windows”, then gives me a window “Activate windows now” with the options to do so. I am unable to set up an internet connection so I cannot activate online

- - When I click “Show me other ways to activate”, I then attempt to use the automated phone system. After choosing my location (U.S.), it shows the 3 steps to take (call the 866#, follow phone system, type in conf. ID given).

I cannot do this because under Step#2, the series of numbers under each of the digits (1-9) do not appear at all.

After all of this, I’ve talked to a live operator and she had me right click on “My Computer” and then click properties, but nothing happens (does not bring up the properties window), so she could not offer any help at that point. I am able to right click My Computer and open the properties list in Safe Mode, however, but I’m assuming many operations cannot be performed in safe mode.

I am able to get to my desktop after clicking “Access your computer with reduced functionality then by clicking File > Open > and then typing “C:\windows\explorer.exe” but again, only with very limited functions and the Windows Activation screen still appears. If I “X” this window out, the laptop restarts. Again, I can open my home page successfully but cannot connect to any other websites.

At this point I thought it might be a good idea just to format the drive, but I am unable to do that as well. When I attempt to right click C: and format, it tells me “You cannot format this volume”, either in safe or normal mode. Also, when I insert my Home Premium 32 bit Recovery and Applications CD, I notice it only spinning slightly and not going into a full spin, which tells me my system does not allow it do its job either. It doesn’t even show up in the list of drives under My Computer (neither in safe mode nor normal mode).

When I open the CMD and try to Format: C, it tells me “Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility in elevated mode”.

I am open for any and all suggestions. I can run a diagnostic test in command prompt (safe mode only) but cannot post the results since I am unable to connect online (I’m currently using another PC by the way). When I run CMD in normal mode, I get the message “Not enough quota is available to process this command”.

Please help someone at his wit’s end.

Thank you in advance!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suggest you reinstall Windows or "recover to factory defaults."

If you have a Recovery partition and can still boot to it that should be the easiest way.

By the way, you cannot format the partition to which you are booted--it's in use. :)

3. Brent8811

Brent8811 Thread Starter

Reinstalling windows is not an option for me, as my CD-ROM does not seem to be responding as it should. It spins slightly, indicating there is a CD present, but does not spin fast or load anything.

If there is such a thing as opening the case exposing the motherboard and "tweeking" it to factory defaults, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice