1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot add 2nd hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sam joyce, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sam joyce

sam joyce Thread Starter

my dads computer died so I nicked his hard drive (seagate) 20 gig to use it in my design computer tower along side the maxor drive 40g which is partitioned and is the main drive with the op system on. The computer holds at the end of the command lines and doesnt boot into windows. When I have the drive installed on this computer (my internet) tower the drive is seen as expected and can be formatted and used as without any problems.Although I dont have in depth info is there any rules with adding drives to towers I am missing I have made sure it is slave.Do the positions on the tape make any difference?Thanks
    sam

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some drives that are masters need a different jumper config when there is a slave than when there isn't. Look on that drive for the guide.

It's also possible that it is using cable-select instead of master/slave. CS cables may have faint markings indicating Drive0 and Drive1 (second drive, or the one that is usually slave), or colored clips.

Make sure that the drive is enabled in BIOS, set to autodetect and not to "None".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice