1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot be defragged?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stocker340, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stocker340

stocker340 Thread Starter

I did a clean install of XP and just did a defrag and the report says that it has 15 fragments, file size 127mb, \hiberfil.sys cannot be defragmented

What is this all about and is it a problem with the hard drive?

Help loyal problem solvers.

Dale

2. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

Don't know if its a problem or not. I also have XP and when I do a defrag, I also get files that cannot be defragged. Usually more than 10. It hasn't bothered me any yet. Its always the same files that cannot be defragged.

3. The_Egg

The_Egg

Hiberfil.sys is the hibernation system file which stores the data for the state of the PC in realtime, so it can be restored when the pc comes out of hibernation.

You can (temporarily?) disable hibernation via:
    Control Panel -> Power Options -> Hibernate

Basically, Windows won't defrag any files that are currently in realtime use, so you should shut down just about everything before defragging.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!