Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannot Boot/Go into Desktop (Black Screen)

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Mark1956 
#1 ·
So I am having this problem.

1. When I switch on the laptop, Windows starts up and until the choice to select the user account. After that the desktop doesn't show, just black screen.

2. Next I try to switch off the laptop to restart again, the lights on the laptop corresponding to charging, boot etc are on, but now it shows just black screen not even showing the loading bar for Windows.

This happens for numerous times, and after long hours (probably 12 hours to a day) when I startup again, number "1" happens and number "2" follows.

I was once able to start into safe mode (after waiting the long hours period) and now the desktop is being shown after entering into a user account. But after another restart it doesn't even show the start screen to press f2 to boot into safe mode, just black screen.

Today I restarted again and after selecting a user account, I could see the desktop being minimized and everywhere else black screen. I tried to boot again and number "2" happens. It's going to take some time before I can boot into safe mode itself.

Could someone be kind enough to help me?

See less See more
#2 ·
I see in your computer specs you have XP and you have posted in the Windows 7 forum, are your specs up to date? If not please update them to the PC we are dealing with.

Lets start with a test on your hard drive as that could be failing, if it passes the test we can try something else.

You can create the Seatools disc on any fully functional PC with a CD burner or use any PC to create the Flash Drive.

Open Internet Explorer and click on this: Seatools

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. If your PC has no CD/DVD drive or you would prefer to run Seatools from a Flash Drive follow this guide: How to run Seatools from a USB Flash Drive

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence Bios Boot Order Guide. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test. If using a Flash Drive you need to set USB to 1st in the boot order, if there is no USB available in the boot order you will have to run the test from a CD.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.

#3 ·
Hi, I'll do that.

Let me burn the CD first. I already have WinRE disc, will it be useful?

In the meantime, I also got this message today morning, before it turned to black screen.

File: Windows\System32\Config\System
Info: Windows failed to load because system registry file is missing or corrupt.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 3GB RAM, Intel Core i3

#5 ·
Well done for fixing the problem, but I would be concerned as to why the Master Boot Record was damaged. I would recommend you run the Seatools test, we can then follow that with some other scans to make sure the system is clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.