1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Boot Into Normal Mode, Safe Mode Okay

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BriLam, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BriLam

BriLam Thread Starter

I am having computer problems and it is frustrating, to say the least.

The computer's virus scanner, McAfee provided by AOL, popped up this morning saying it has found 7 trojans. I looked them up online and they were relatively low risk. I think they developed from my Mom visiting a web site earlier today. Anyways, I quarantined them and then performed a full scan. It found nothing. So, I disabled system restore and then I booted into safe mode to do another full scan to ensure all was alright.

While restarting, the computer blue screened and gave me an "unmountable boot volume" message. I searched this message on my other computer and found directions to solve it. It involved using the Windows disk and repairing it. Sure enough, it said it found errors and whatnot. It restarted and did not blue screen when it normally did. Now, however, the computer freezes at the Windows XP screen with the logo and the scrolling blue squares every time.

I tried getting into safe mode, where I am now, and it works fine. I immediately thought of using system restore to go back to before the virii were downloaded, but it must be enabled in normal mode before using. And I cannot get into normal mode. Just my luck. But I am not sure if there would still be checkpoints if I was able to enable system restore now than it has been disabled.

Anyway, I called Dell support and they jumped entirely too quickly to "you need to reinstall Windows XP and lose everything." I don't know all that much about computers but I know you need to exhaust your other choices before doing something drastic.

I searched for a similar problem as mine and someone suggested it might be a software-related issue since safe mode works fine. I tried going into msconfig and selecting selective startup and deselecting three of the choices (except win.ini) but it didn't work. However, the reasoning makes sense to me. I think it may have to do with the virii infection and that may have set something off.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I hate having problems like this. Thanks!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If it starts ok in safe mode, it has to be something loading at Boot . . go into msconfig startup tab and uncheck everything . . then click on the Services tab . . put a check in "Hide Microsoft Services" and uncheck everything there . . reboot to see if it boots into normal mode.

If it does, go back and enable services and startup items one at a time untill you find the culprit

3. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

1, go to start

2, click on run

3, type in msconfig

4, click on selective startup

5, uncheck the box that says load startup items

6, click on the tab that says services

7, then click on the box that says hide all microsoft services

8, then uncheck everything in the list

9, apply and click ok then restart

4. BriLam

BriLam Thread Starter

I did exactly what you said and it still froze. Oddly, the blue bar froze in a slightly different spot than the other times. When booting normally, the first two blue squares froze with the rest empty. Now, there were three squares showing and they were a little further towards the center.

I reattempted it and the same occured with the squares, but did not load.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

. . . echo in here . . .

6. BriLam

BriLam Thread Starter

They both didn't work. :)

At this point, not that I want to, but I will probably just back up my info again from Safe Mode and proceed with a reformat and reinstall. I am not happy about it, but I know it's good to do sometimes anyway to keep the computer running well.

This stupid problem just bothers me, though.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice