1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot boot into Win7 installer. "insert proper boot media" and "flashing underscore"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lettnightexplode, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lettnightexplode

lettnightexplode Thread Starter

I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit but i can't get the installer to load.
    I have access to a Xubuntu install and a OS X install.
    The original hard drive Windows 7 was installed on stopped working completely. So, I've bought a brand new one.
    I followed the steps I did the first time I installed Windows 7 - converting the iso to and img with OS X's hdiutil and the dd command to burn it to a USB.
    This time I would just get a "please insert proper boot media" error.
    I went to my Xubuntu computer (it's used like a chromebook - i'm not a big linux guy) and tried WinUSB.
    These USB keys lead to a screen that had a flashing underscore a few spaces from the top of the screen.
    It dawned on me that the first thing I did when I installed windows the first time was update the bios. So I tried flashing a few different BIOS versions, but none of them made a difference>
    I really need help - I can't think of anything else to try
    Thank you very much!
    TL;DR
    Cannot boot into Win7 installer. OS X made USB keys show "insert proper boot media" - Ubuntu made keys show "flashing underscore" - Tried 3 different BIOS versions. Win7 -has- worked here before...
    *Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1155
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650
    Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3
    Corsair 750W*

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From where did you buy Windows 7 Ultimate? Did you not get a set of two DVDs with your purchase?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice