1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot boot on any other device than hard disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jiaife, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jiaife

Jiaife Thread Starter

Hello everybody.

I am writing here, asking for help, because I need to format my computer, there is nothing much useful on it, my parents put a big big load of viruses and there are so many that it would just take less time to format instead of getting rid of all them including other malwares.

The problem is that I cannot boot on any other device than my hard disk ! I have set my BIOS properly, I have tried to boot on a CD and a USB device, but it just stays maybe one minute with a white _ flashing, and then it boots normally.

I cannot get into safe mode either. I have never flashed my Bios, I don't understand what is going on. It used to be F8 to get into it and now it only gives me a boot menu for the boot device, I have tried all other keys but only F8 works.

I did reset my CMOS, and I still have the same problem. My BIOS is set properly, I can't find what's the problem at all. My last resort would have been to use floppy disks, but I don't have the material on my computer to do so.

Please, anyone help me, I'd really like my computer back, I can't find anyone else with my problem, everybody just didn't set their BIOS properly, unlike me...

2. Rockn

Rockn

What is the make and model of the computer? Does it even support booting to a USB device in the BIOS. Is the CD bootable? Is the USB device configured as bootable media?

3. Jiaife

Jiaife Thread Starter

My motherboard is an Asus M2npv-vm, I believe it does support USB devices since I can set it in the BIOS, and I have tried many bootable CDs. The USB device was configured, I extracted a Windows XP bootable installation disc on it, and it still didn't boot. I am able to boot on the USB and the CDs I have tried at home on any other computer.

4. Jiaife

Jiaife Thread Starter

Help anybody ? ):

5. Rockn

Rockn

Just extracting Windows XP to a USB drive will not make it bootable.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

What's the Make and Model number of the Computer ?????????
    Do you have .. or did you make the factory recovery CD/DVDs..

7. Jiaife

Jiaife Thread Starter

I don't know what you are talking about for the make and the model, english is not my main language, sorry D:

And for the USB drive, I have booted on it on a few other computers and it works.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1004818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice