1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot boot PC - RAM/PSU/other?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Spleendor, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spleendor

Spleendor Thread Starter

I have an ancient PC that I am determined to keep alive, but this has me worried. The thing was running fine up until a couple months ago when I tried to install a Soundblaster Live! card. It should have been compatible with my system, but I never could find the right driver to generate sound.

Seems like ever since I took that puppy out and tried to re-boot, it has never been the same. Once or twice I would get as far as the Windows 98 splash screen, but then it would just hang. Most of the time I don't even see anything - the display never kicks in. I hear a few clicks from the hard drive and the CD drive spins, then nothing. I suspected RAM so I took out all but one module and started testing one by one. At one point I heard more than I usually do (i.e. the single beep that tells me it's about to load Windows), but in my haste I had not connected the monitor so I couldn't see what it was doing. Eventually though it hung again so I suspect it was at the hung splash screen like I described above.

I suppose it's possible all my RAM is bad - every one of these DIMMs is at least 5 years old - but I'm thinking it could also be a power supply issue if I can't even get the monitor recognized (and the video card is fairly new and should not be failing).

Or it could be general mobo failure in which case I'm screwed. It's a PII 266mhz running Win98. I said it was ancient. I'll happily provide whatever additional information is needed, just let me know. Thanks.

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Try booting the computer and hitting F8 to get it to a command prompt.
    In the dos menu, type "scanreg/ restore" without the quotes, and restore it to an earlier time.

3. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

Mike and Spleendor

scanreg /restore

should be :D

Ben

4. Spleendor

Spleendor Thread Starter

Hitting buttons and waiting for prompts does no good because the monitor is not kicking in. I'm starting to suspect more and more the power supply because the monitor's standby light stays orange, when at some point, you should hear it fire up and see the light go green. Not being able to see anything onscreen means I can't see DOS prompts or enter commands or any of that sort.

5. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Check to make sure your video card is in tight. Does the power supply make noise?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!