1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot boot/start windows95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by meechkin, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meechkin

meechkin Thread Starter

I recently changed a lot of settings regarding the internet on my computer upon cancelling/uninstalling aol and signing up with a local dialup internet company. after i did this, the next time i attempted to start up, my computer asked me to insert boot disk in a:, so i did, then it takes me to the blue windows startup menu with the following options: 1: configuration FDISK 2: Format HDD 3: Setup Windows95 for CTX (name of my computer) DP-SYSTEM 4: Go to DOS Prompt. I tried each one of these options, not really knowing what to do with them, and got various error messages. On the bottom of the screen my options are F5=safe mode (doesn't work) Shift+F5=Command Prompt and Shift+F8=step by step conformation [N].

I do not have the Windows 95 CD ROM...i assume this may be a problem. Please help!

thanks in advance,
    erin

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:p Select the command prompt option at the bottom of the screen if it works. Then:

1) Type cd c:\windows press enter.
    2) Type attrib -h -r -s system.dat press enter
    3) Type attrib -h -r -s system.da0 (number zero) press enter
    4) Type attrib -h -r -s user .dat press enter
    5) Type attrib -h -r -s user.da0 (number zero) press enter

Restart your computer. If all goes well these commands restored the registry with a copy form the last time you sucessfully started your computer.

If you can't access the command prompt form the option at the bottom of the screen, press and release the F8 key as soon as you see the "Starting Windows 95" text upon booting.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you managed to successfully run an FDisk or Format command following those options -- there is no data left on the hard drive. Remove the boot disk and see if you can get a Boot Menu following these instructions, if you can then there is still a Windows installation on the drive.

Start the computer and immediately begin tapping the f8 key. You should get a Boot Menu with numbered options (on a black screen). Try selecting Safe Mode and see if it will boot through to Windows. If you can, try reversing what ever changes you made.

If you get the menu, but still can't boot, try the suggestions in this link for restoring system.da0 (the previous registry); or even system.1st (choosing this one will probably require all programs other than the original installation to be reinstalled)

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q131/4/31.ASP

4. meechkin

meechkin Thread Starter

I got to the command prompt option through the blue startup screen option, but when i typed in the command line given it gave back invalid drive specification. it will not let me boot in safe mode. i'm going to the link now...let me know if there's anything else i can try.

thanks for the input.

5. meechkin

meechkin Thread Starter

i attempted to follow the instructions given at the link provided, but when i type cd\windows or cd\<windows> into the command prompt a:\ (with the boot disk in drive a) it replies file not found or invalid drive specification.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What happens if you just type:

c:
    and press enter

and then

cd c:\windows
    space after the 'd' in cd

7. meechkin

meechkin Thread Starter

i don't recall which error message it is, maybe file not found or invalid drive specification, but it won't let me go to c:, it just goes back to a: to the boot disk.

8. ~Candy~

Can't be file not found by just typing c: and pressing enter.

Can you please verify? It's difficult to offer assistance if we can't 'see' what you are seeing...... ;)

In any event, you need to decide what you are going to do....without a windows installation cd, I don't see how you are going to be able to fix this problem.

9. meechkin

meechkin Thread Starter

when i type c:, it says invalid drive specification and it enters a:\> into the command prompt line. about the windows cd...i'm going to call a few friends and see if i can get if from someone.

10. ~Candy~

Do you know how to access your bios setup to make sure your hard drive is being recognized there?

11. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:rolleyes: Try the Shift+F8 option, step by step option. Press enter for each step and watch closely for error messages. Write down which step you get the error on. After you go through all the options, restart and go back to the same option and perform each step again except hit the Esc key when you get to the process that you noted as showing an error to bypass it. Let us know what happens.

12. meechkin

meechkin Thread Starter

okay...here's what happened when i did step by step:

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS (Y)
    BUFFERS=20 (Y)
    FILES=60 (Y)
    LASTDRIVE=E (Y)
    ECHO OFF (Y)
    IF "FDISK"=="FDISK" GOTO FDISK (Y)
    GOTO FDISK (Y)
    FDISK < MAKE (Y)

then the screen changed to a black one with the following line at the top:

No fixed disks present FORMAT C:/U/AUTOTEST (Y)
    invalid drive specification
    BOOT (Y) (it reboots) if i type (N), i get:

MSCDEX /D: MSCD001 /M:10 (Y)
    Device driver not found: 'MSCD001'
    No valid CDROM device drivers selected
    D: (Y)
    Invalid drive specification
    SETUP (Y)
    Bad command or file name
    A:\>

that's it!

13. ~Candy~

This is a step by step just with the shift key and F 8? Strange choices.....what happens if you answer no to the Fdisk question?

Also, do you know how to access your bios setup?

Do you have a good known windows 98 bootable floppy disk?

If not, get one from here:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

14. meechkin

meechkin Thread Starter

i do not know how to access my bios, and i do not have a windows 98 floppy cuz i have windows 95. i tried no to the fdisk questions, but it still takes me to c:/u/autotest and goes back to boot.

15. ~Candy~

Ok, well go download a windows 98 bootable floppy, you're going to need it to get cdrom support to install windows anyhow....may as well get it and have it ready....it doesn't matter that you are going to be re-installing windows 95.

When the computer is starting, try hitting the DEL key, maybe F 1, F 2, there's different combinations to enter the bios setup....maybe look at the manual that came with your computer? You said it's CTX, correct?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!