1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot boot to desktop nor refomat hard drive...help

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sb14blue, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sb14blue

sb14blue Thread Starter

I have dell 4100 with windows me (I know longer get tech help). When I start up, I receive an "explorer error" message with two options. Close or Ignore. If I press "Ignore", I get the same "Explorer Error" message. If I press "Close", I receive an error message that says "explorer has caused an error to gdi.exe. gdi.exe will now close". This causes the booting to freeze. As a result, I cannot boot to desktop. I decided to reformat the hard drive, but I have a problem. When my computer boots from the boot disk, I received a message that says "Windows ME has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition. Then it gives me three reason why this might happen. From here, it goes to the A:\>. I typed "a:format c:". Then I received a message that says "format not supported on drive C:...Format terminated. So far I have ran scandisk. This showed no errors. From the "A" prompted I went into fdisk and I have one partition set to "A". So I do not know why drive C does not have a valid FAT or FAT32. I have also booted to "Safe Mode" but I am very limited. I cannot run the cd-rom, I cannot run Nortons Systemworks, and I cannot access the internet. Right now I am on my computer at work. I need something that I can take home. Should I focus on fixing the "Explorer Error" which I think might be a virus or should I focus on trying to reformat the hard drive?...or should I do something else? I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

2. dai

dai

3. NotRite²

NotRite²

I was wondering if you have tried System Restore from Safe Mode? But if you have not ever downloaded and installed the patch for Me's System Restore program, it won't work anyway.

start>run>scanreg /restore might give that a try too.

Good Luck!

4. sb14blue

sb14blue Thread Starter

I have tried system restore. It was enabled because I had Go Back. Go Back did not help. I reverted to the earliest time I could but the problem still remained. I sense that my hard drive is screwed. Am I wrong?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice