cannot boot to desktop...what happened?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KuriousJorj

Hello!

I have a dual-boot system, "Win 2K Gaming," (for games) and "Win 2K Video," (for video editing). The computer is NOT hooked up to the internet, though I occasionally do hook it up... always using the "Win 2K Gaming" partition, which thus has alot of free anti-virus, anti-spamware installed that slows startup.

Anyhow, I also have an old, unstable IBM harddrive that had a few files I wanted to pull off, so I hooked it up to my system, booted into the "win 2K Gaming" partition, and copied off the files. When I did bootup, several windows from the harddrive opened, and I got a message that my system 'detected a new device, restart for changes to take effect.' Since the old, hooked-up harddrive is not stable, I just quickly copied the files I needed right then and there, shut down the system, then unhooked the old harddrive (ie, I didn't "restart to allow changes to take effect").

When I tried to restart/reboot into the "Gaming" system, it booted into desktop to the point where it starts to load all that free anti-spyware, then locked up.

I tried several more times, and it wouldn't even load to desktop, stopping at the Win2K "splash screen." I tried RE-intalling the old harddrive, thinking it needed to "RE-detect" the 'new device,' but no change. I tried SafeMode, but it also wouldn't load to the desktop.

I tried the Win2K install disk, to make repairs, but it wouldn't 'detect previous installations.' I tried using the RecoveryConsole, and while it shows both installations, when I click on "c://Gaming" it again just hangs, refusing to load into that partition so I can repair it.

So... How do I boot, how do I repair this situation?

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!!!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. Does Windows 2000 have a safe mode? If so, can you get there?

KuriousJorj

AcaCandy said:
Hi and welcome. Does Windows 2000 have a safe mode? If so, can you get there?
Thanks!

No, I tried, but it wouldn't boot into safe mode either... In fact, I tried practically ALL the "F8 options" but none would boot to desktop; all hang late in the 'splash screen' (where the blue progress bar is practically all the way loaded to the right).

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Wow, then, I am at a loss for further suggestions :(

KuriousJorj

This is so weird! I've never even heard of such a thing...

Left my computer try to boot up over the New Year, and it was hanging for 12 hours on the "windows is starting" screen.

And I can't 'Repair' or even 'Reinstall' windows using the install disks; it also won't "detect previous installations," or, when I choose "c://gaming" it also hangs.

What in the hell could cause this? I can't find ANYTHING in the MS site database. How can I not even REINSTALL???

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Are you sure the drive is connected securely?

KuriousJorj

Yeah... It's a dual-boot system, and I can still boot into the "Win2K Video Editing" partition...

Out of desperation, I'm thinking about booting into my 'Video Editing' partition, then opening the 'Gaming' drive and manually deleting everything... Obviously obliterating the 'Gaming' OS, and maybe, forcing the CD's to recognize that partition so I can at least re-install Win2K onto that partition.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online