1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Boot up in anything but Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zaney1, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zaney1

Zaney1 Thread Starter

Cannot Boot up in anything but Safe Mode on an Acer Aspire X1430.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please provide your computer's specifications. Your profile notes XP.
    http://forums.techguy.org/personal-news-announcements/948490-tsg-system-information-utility.html

When did the problem begin? What were the circumstances? When did the computer last work well? What changed; installation or removal of hardware or software; W7 update; update to a program [ anti malware, Adobe or Java for example ]?

Have you tried clean boot troubleshooting?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    If not, I think it would be a reasonable option.
    Any error messages, particularly blue or black screens when you were in or tried to boot to normal mode?

What happens if you try to boot to normal mode?

RF123

3. Zaney1

Zaney1 Thread Starter

Thanks RF123. Wasn't sure what to include in this post as I deal with malware more often than not.
    This is an Acer Aspire X1430 I bought thru Liquidation.com supposedly refurbished. It boots u fine from out of the box but if I try to put a password in, it will not recognize it & I have a problem until I remove it. From trying to figure that out I found out that I am booting up in Safe mode even when I select Normal Mode after pressing F8. Everything looks fine, runs ok. Cannot run backup. Cannot change passwords as stated.

Running windows 7. I will try the clean boot troubleshooting. Thanks for that. Is there anyway to circumvent Acer's shell?

Thanks

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Z:
    You are welcome.

Please run the forum's system info tool & post the results.

I am unaware of an Acer shell.

Do you have a real W7 DVD with valid product key? What method would you use to re-install Windows?

Please answer the other questions I asked, so that I can continue to help you, with a better understanding of the situation.

RF123

5. huggie54

huggie54

hiya Zaney1,have you checked the boot tab in Msconfig making sure the Safe mode box in boot options is not chequed

6. Zaney1

Zaney1 Thread Starter

I ran the clean boot with no change in status. This PC came pre loaded with windows 7. I have no disk to reinstall. Everything appears normal except for running backup and trying to change the password. When I select Normal startup after pressing F8 on boot it appears normal. No messages from Windows 7 that I am not running normal. Backup will still not work & I cannot change the password. Can I ask Microsoft for a disk since this is a valid OEM version that I cannot create restore disks for?
    Thanks for your help RF123. Let me know if there is any other info you need.

7. huggie54

huggie54

did you check msconfig,also have you tried a system restore back to a date when it worked ok.

8. Zaney1

Zaney1 Thread Starter

Thanks Huggie but this is right out of the box & no restore points exist. Also something else that can't be done in Safe Mode.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

Z:
    You are welcome.
    See #4 of this thread.

Were this my computer which it is not, right out of the box, I would return it using the vendor's RMA procedures, aka hoop jumping.

RF123

10. Zaney1

Zaney1 Thread Starter

Well I would too normally but liquidation.com has a policy of no returns. This was 1/3 the cost & I can live with it if I have no choice. I would like to strip it down & reinstall but can't without the disks. Thanks for your help once again.

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

12. Zaney1

Zaney1 Thread Starter

Not sure where to find that out RF, I'm researching the link you provided. The problem I see with that is that the only way to get to that is with a restore which is not allowed in safe mode. Am I wrong? Thanks

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

Z:
    Please accept my sincere apology. I had assumed that Acer would provide a user's guide in their documents section.

Does the laptop have a recovery partition? I found some threads at this forum that discuss Acer Aspire recovery partitions, but none specific to the x1430.

I found a video for unpacking & setting up an Acer Aspire x1430. I watched the first 15 seconds of the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJnPRxalN3M

Best of success.

RF123

14. Zaney1

Zaney1 Thread Starter

RF123, no need to apologize AT ALL. I appreciate the time that you took to try to help me. This is just one of those situations, I think, that even having the pc in front of you might lead to scratching your head a bit. Thank you so much, I looked at whether or not there is a partition. Not sure I am a sophisticated enough troubleshooter for this one but I thank you for your help.

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

Z:
    Boot to safe mode.
    RIGHT click"computer"
    Left click "manage"
    Maximize the screen
    Left click "manage".
    A msg may appear informing you that disk management serv won't launch in safe mode.

If so, close out
    Open computer
    RIGHT click "C:"
    Left click "properties"
    What's the used # GB?
    What's the free # GB?

What are the capacity of your HDD?

If there is a recovery partition, we are smart enough to find it & use it.

RF123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice