1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot boot up in windows from hard disk

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by amazed, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amazed

amazed Thread Starter

When I try to boot up my desktop PC normally I see first, for a couple of seconds, a flashing cursor in the top left of my display, this is followed by a line of cursors flashing swiftly across the bottom of the screen. Then a smiley face appears at the bottom left with a blinking cursor. The object looks like a domino with two dots in the top half like eyes and 3 in the bottom half, resembling a smiley mouth. Nothing further happens, it just stays like that.
    I can start Windows by booting from my setup CD. PC-Cillin does not recognise any virus, neither Ad-Aware, spybot nor spyware blaster detect anything. I could not get to the command prompt from windows, the virus locks out the keyboard and mouse when I try to access the command prompt, so I have used the Windows set-up disk to delete my partition, format the new partition, and I have re-installed XP Pro. The problem remains.
    So, having completely formatted my hard drive, where is this virus living, and even more importantly, how can I get shut of it?

2. debunkcia

debunkcia

you could try and reset cmos by removing the battery from the mother board for a few minutes and putting it back in,. then uppon start up you will have to enter the cmos setup (BIOS) and make any changes nessesary and save the new configuration.

3. amazed

amazed Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea. I have tried removing the battery, once for an hour. Reset time and date, but the villain reappears. When the PC starts to boot I get a line that says "CMOS/GPNV Checksum bad" above the line "Press F4 to setup". I don't know what that means or if it is relevant.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/368119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice