1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FuzzTone, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzzTone

FuzzTone Thread Starter

Win 7-64.
    I've had shutdown problems for a while - permanent hang. Today I could not boot back in, not even Safe Mode. "Last known good" worked two times so I tried a clean boot, no go. Now I can't even boot "last known". My pretested repair disc and the reinstall dvd from the mfr. make it through "Windows is loading files", then a 90 second blank screen, then reboot. Even Ophrack live cd dies before loading.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

F T:
    Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Does the computer hang, or spontaneously reboot? If the latter, select the option to disable auto restart

Please provide the exact wording of any error messages.

Please provide:
    brand, model & model # of computer or motherboard
    CPU
    RAM: #GB, #sticks; speed
    HDD: #GB / TB; brand, model & model #
    brand, model & model # of any add in cards
    brand, model & model # of optical drives
    brand, model & model # of power supply, plus #Watts

Version of W7; 32 or 64 bit; service pack.

We need more information.

We are brilliant but we are not psychic.

RF123

3. FuzzTone

FuzzTone Thread Starter

Thanks for reply. Dig this, while slaving on my crappy netbook to issue the plea for help I noticed a suggestion to unplug USB peripherals.
    Duh.
    Of course your questions suggest that you didn't understand my quandary. The computer (i7-2600 3.4 GHz "Sandy Bridge") would not boot up. TO ANYTHING. Not even system repair, installation, Ophrack Live CD or Ghost bootable disks. It started to run, then went blank and eventually restarted the loop. Insanity. All I got to see was the windoze four colors. Then nothing.
    The culprit was a powered USB hub that had an intermittant power brick to AC connection. Who knew that could cause such havoc? Once I repositioned it my problems were over.
    I probably could use a new or bigger power supply but this is the crap Dell spec'd out.
    Anyway, thanks. I hope you suggest disconnecting nonessential USB's first for boot problems next time while asking irrelevant hardware questions.

24GB, 4 sticks, G.Skill
    Dell 460AD 460W

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

F T:
    EXCELLENT!

Good for you that you were able to discover the cause.

1 of the steps of my troubleshooting guide for boot problems is to disconnect all peripherals except the mouse, monitor and keyboard.

Thanks for marking the thread solved & providing the steps you used.

unsubscribed

RF123

5. FuzzTone

FuzzTone Thread Starter

It just started acting up again. It locked up while working. After a hard shutdown I got a 0X000225 "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible" No safe mode, no nothing. Attempts at booting off a system repair or windows installation disc make it through "Windows is loading files..." then "Starting Windows" , then a long pause and a restart. The only things connected are keyboard and monitor. Help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice