Cannot bring emails into computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sunshine1298

This morning I cleaned way too many old emails from my Inbox. After that, I clicked on "Receive Mail". The total number goes up next to Inbox, but no new emails appear. I've tried at least four times. When I go to my server and check emails, they are there. When I go back to OE6 (Windows XP), click on receive, up goes the total, but no new emails show. Going back to server, they're gone. I know they're in my computer somewhere, but I haven't a clue. I did a restart, a system restore, and compacted. However, when I tried compacting, it hung up on the Inbox. Said there was an unknown error. In addition, I'm having trouble deleting any more emails. I'm OK around a computer until you want me to go to the registry or something, so please be patient. Thank you.

Do you have the folder list enabled? That would be the left pane. Is
that where you see the numbers climb in the inbox?

Can you see emails in any of the default folders (Inbox/Outbox/Drafts/
Sent Items/Deleted Items)?

Have you made up custom folders for long-term storage of emails?
They should never be stored in the default folders, especially the
inbox. If you have custom folders, can you see the emails in those?

Sunshine1298

Hi. I want to thank all of you. I was finally able to compact the emails in the inbox. That enabled me to delete them one at a time - several thousand. My eyes are crossed and bleary. However, I got the inbox down to 52 messages, and the new ones are coming in beautifully. Have no idea what I lost, but I guess the world won't come to an end. I didn't realize you could keep all the emails you wanted to as long as you send them to new folders. I've truly learned a lesson. Thanks again!

Glad you got it fixed (y)

I just posted this to another thread, should give you information for the future.

The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

:Minimizing the Risk Is Also Minimizing the Loss
"Don't put all your eggs in one basket," goes the old saying. In Outlook Express this translates into "don't save all your messages in one folder, especially not the Inbox." By keeping your DBX files small, you minimize the risk of corruption while at the same time minimizing the loss should corruption occur. This is especially true for the Inbox since it is the folder that changes the most. So keep your Inbox lean and healthy by using it for what it is, a box for incoming messages waiting to be stored or deleted, and not as a place to store all the e-mail you've ever received. Not only will Outlook Express be less likely to lose your e-mail, it will also perform more efficiently.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts