1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot browse to domain controller(w2000srv)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jtarolli, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtarolli

jtarolli Thread Starter

In a small office domain (about 8 WS, 1 server) there are 3 w2000pro machines that cannot browse to the server or add a printer that is attached to the server. The WSs were previously able to do this. The problem seemed to come out of nowhere. The mapped drives to file storage folders on the server still work fine though, and XP machines hqave no problems browsing the server or adding the printer. The domain is Active Directory.

2. blin

blin

you may have a master browser issue. this may help, quoted form http://www.howtonetworking.com/browser.htm

How do I know I have a browser problem

When you open My Network Places, the computer list you see is obtaining from the master browser of your network. You have a master browser issue if you have the following symptoms. 1) If you can ping a computer name, you can search it, you can map it, but that computer doesn't show or take long time to show up on My Network Places.
    2) Net view command shows no lists or shows "System error 6118 has occurred. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".
    3) when clicking on Computers Near Me in My Network Places or workgroup name in Entire Network, the following error message may appear: "Cannot Access 'Computers Near Me' " or "Workgroup is not accessible" errors.
    4) when click workgroup name under Entire Network Places, you get "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The list server for this workgroup is not currently available."
    5) Windows Explorer or My Network Places take a long time to open.
    6) Event logs on servers show many master browser election messages.

3. jtarolli

jtarolli Thread Starter

The errors I am getting are slightly different. When trying to add the printer, I'm getting "Network name cannot be found." The same as when I try to use start-> run to connect directly to the server. In My Network Places the network is not visible at all. I can ping the server, and I used the NET USE command in CMD Prompt to connect the printers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice