1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot browse via Network neighborhood

Discussion in 'Networking' started by qalandar, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qalandar

qalandar Thread Starter

Hi,

Anyone out there using Win98 and Win Millenium edition who gets an error message when double click network neighborhood---entire network.

I have installed TCP/IP and NetBEUI to make sure the lack of IP did not affect this (I also tried static IP addresses). This is a peer to peer network of 1 win98 and about 4 win millenium pc's. No internet capability except independent dial up.

I am using good cabling (tried and tested) and PCI NIC's in the mchines with a 10/100 hub.

Any ideas will be helpful

TIA
    MK

2. brianF

brianF

Have you tried setting the speeds for the nics to 10mps half duplex. Have seen 10/100 nics set at auto that won't read the network unless set to lower speed due to cabling lengths and quality

Moving to networking

3. qalandar

qalandar Thread Starter

Yes, the settings are correct are Nic is configured in AUTO mode to detect the speeds etc. Cable lengths are not an issue either. I would suspect the cables and or the hub if I could browse but not see anyone else.

I did some research on Microsoft's website and apparently this is a problem but they did not have a solution that worked for me ( I did try the solutions they suggested).

4. Rockn

Rockn

Are they all members of the same workgroup and network? Sounds like something fairly simple.

5. jimi

jimi

re-read brians posting - don't use the auto setting, i've seen the same problem. even more basic (don't know your level of expertise...only tryin to help so bear with me if this sounds simplistic) can you set the IPs to static addresses and ping the other machines, takes away the cable issue to start with

BTW Welcome to TSG:cool:

6. qalandar

qalandar Thread Starter

thank you rockin and jimi....I do agree with you jimi, I think it is something simple. I am a network engineer but have not worked with ME and 9x machines...mostly NT and 2k ....

Yes can assign static ip...did not try the ping part but will do.

thanks again

7. brianF

brianF

One last thing, have you enable file and print sharing on all machines

8. jimi

jimi

Even as a net eng, you can see what i mean; and thanks for not taking my suggestion as some kind of put down; Brians suggestion goes right to the heart of the matter & is thee starting point.

Takes a couple of good heads (i'm not includin myself in that bunch) to solve the simple ones - good luck we'll be here!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice