Cannot burn CD after installing XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pkipper

Hi guys,

After installing Windows XP build 2600, I cannot burn CDs using Nero 5.5.4 anymore. Not too sure what happened, but after Nero has created the image and starts burning into the CD, it stops after 2%-5% of the overall burning progress. It doesn't crash Nero or my computer, but it just stopped burning.

A bit of background info: I clean installed WinXP and installed Nero 5.5.4. THe burner worked fine in Win2000 hence I guess it's something to do with XP. The burner is a Creative 8432E.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

In case you didn't notice it (cause you never know), I just realized (yes, I'm blonde and can be slow sometimes!) that XP has it's own ability to burn built in. Just pop in the cd and open that drive in My Computer - you can just copy files right in. I originally thought that just audio files could be burned to cd within Windows Media Player.

pkipper

I have heard that Nero the old Nero 5 doesn't support XP but Nero 5.5.4 does.

As in using Xp's built-in burning software, yeah I have tried that but it didn't work either. It also stopped around 2% of the burning process. Very strange :(

Hmmm, go into Device Manager and make sure DMA access is checked on your writer. Win. ME did that to me, and I couldn't write properly until DMA was enabled...

...good luck...
-Brian_II

Del

It almost sounds like XP is using more memory and the burning process is running out of memory?
Del

pkipper

Thanks for the suggestion Brian II, that happened to me when I was running win2000 professional. I thought that could have solved the problem, but unfortunately it didn't.

Right now I am so lost that I don't even know if its the xp's driver or if my burner is damaged.

Wondering if you guys know anyone who owns a creative 8432e cdr and have trouble burning in windows xp as well? I checked the windows hardware compatibility and suprised that creative 8432e isn't listed (?). However, xp did detect my burner as a creative rw8432e and it's working well apart from the burning. SOOO CONFUSED!

i don't have a creative cd burner, but a sony crx100e. did you install nero, and then upgrade to xp? certain programs require reinstallation after the xp upgrade. try reinstalling it. i haven't had any problems running nero on xp. in fact, it works like a dream. if nero isn't the problem, do check your burner. plus, with the things being so cheap these days just go out and buy a 24/10/40 for only 150 bucks. guarantee you'll be able to use xp with one of those. later!

Windows XP has it's own built-in cd recording system. If you don't want to use it, see if there's a way of disableing it. It may be conflicting with Nero. Personally, I think Microsoft put that software in there to deter people from downloading and burning MP3's. It won't let you do what a lot of the third party software out there can do. It's limited. So try to disable or uninstall that part of Windows XP...............

Try ADD/REMOVE Windows Components

swb

pkipper

I cannot disable Windows Xp's burning software :(

Anyway, I tried Roxio's Easy CD Creator, and the same thing happened. Except it stopped around 30% of the burning process. Now I am starting to doubt that my Cd burner might be damaged (I have only had it for more than year). Unless I format my hd and install Win2000 again to see if it still works on that (which it did before i switched to winxp), otherwise I mgiht have to get my writer checked out.

Creative makes good sound cards, but they sure make poor CDRW drives.

pkipper

Well, something interesting happened.
I haven't successfully burned a cd, but Easy CD Creator did manage to successfully 'TEST' a burn process. However when I tried again, the problem came back.

It was pleasing to see that the test (simulation) run was successful, which tells me that my burner isn't damaged or anything. Suprised by the result, I tested a few more times.

Easy CD creator failed to burn after 60% for the first test, and then 40% after the second test. Nero failed to burn after 10% and then around 55% for the second test.

Now I am even more confused! What is wrong with the burner?? I suspect that I need to to update my firmware driver from Creative, but then I contacted their support team and all they said was that they do not provide anymore drivers to support XP, and told me to wait for an update from AHead (Nero). :(

only after you update roxio to the latest. unless you do not restart and do this, roxio hoses xp badly. roxio knows about this and thus, is why the update fixes it. like i said before, no troubles running nero 5.5.5.4 on mine. well i gotta go now, so byee!

check your virtual memory settings and see if the burn process is causing xp to start paging. if so, increase either your physical mem or virtual mem. i have heard that paging can affect burn performance. i've also heard that creative burners suck ***, so maybe it is the burner. hope maybe i've helped in some way. later

pkipper

Thanks for the suggestions volrathxp.

I agree that Creative burner sux *** (after reviewing cdrw sites), just that I didn't know that they suck that much when I brought it :(

I just checked Roxio's website and I am downloading the update patch now, hopefully it will fix the problem (fingers crossed) :)

Thanks again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online