1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot change IE6 internet options

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sb199, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sb199

sb199 Thread Starter

I have Win XP HOME with Internet Explorer 6. When I wanted to go to INTERNET OPTIONS..I got a dialogue box stating I cannot get into it as I do NOT have administrative rights!

I once had this problem before, as I had/have Spybot-Search & Destroy software on my PC, and all I had to do was change a setting in it, and ALL was AOK.

Now on this new other PC, with SPYBOT s/w, I tried to log int it, and all it kept doing was SCANNING my PC for SPYWARE. For the life of me, I can not get into the SPYBOT s/w...except for it to SCAN my PC when I clicked on the icon. I REMOVED IT from the PC PROGRAM SELECTOR + then REINSTALLED IT, and same thing happens. I then tried REMOVING IT [successfully?] from ADD/REMOVE in CONTROL PANEL. Then rebooted. Same thing. I download a new install of SPYBOT. Do "install". Then, instead of giving me install screen, it creates it's ICONS. I click on ICON, and it SCANS my PC [for about 4 minutes]. But I cannot change anything in the program...or even get further into the program like I used to be able to do with the program on my old PC.

Any help here?

The real issue is that I cannot get into and change IE6 INTERNET OPTIONS. But I think it is related to SPYBOT. And now I cannot get into SPYBOT to fix things...even after removing + reinstalling it!

Please help?

sb199

2. Snugglebug

Snugglebug

Hi...I had the same problem with Spybot...what happened is that I set it to start with windows...then it scans and wont let me in the progam. I tried what you did and no luck....When I uninstalled for the 3rd time...I then used jv16 power tools..and cleaned the registary...then went into search in Windows and deleted any files left behind...When I reinstalled Spybot I was able to access the program and change it to manually start program and got my IE options back

The free jv16 program is here
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1680

Hope this helps

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/188368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice