Cannot Change IP Address

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SpyKiller112

I am trying to change my IP and something is not working.

I didn't bother doing ipconfig /renew becuase /release didn't work...

Also after i resolve the first problem, could you help me back a bat file out of these commands?

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
exit

"The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."

That basically means that you don't have permission to renew your IP (limited user account?) or that something is wrong with your wired/wireless adapter.

Try getting the latest drivers, restarting, and disabling and then enabling your adapter through Device Manager.

That should fix it. :)

do a ipconfig /all and show us what you currently have as an IP

are you connecting to a modem or a router?
is your IP set up statically/manually ?

bearone2

Banned
why do you feel the need to change the ip address, are you hiding, going to sites you're not supposed to on a company computer?

bearone2 said:
why do you feel the need to change the ip address, are you hiding, going to sites you're not supposed to on a company computer?
:p Hmm.... :p

It is good to change your IP once in a while though, for security reasons. :)

bearone2

Banned
so i can change it to what ever i want, please tell me how.

silly me, i thought it was tied into my isp.:cool:

Eriksrocks said:
:p Hmm.... :p

It is good to change your IP once in a while though, for security reasons. :)
Is the LAN or WAN IP address trying to be changed.

There's not too much you can do about the WAN address other than perhaps turning off your DSL/Cable modem for a period of time (assuming you don't have a static IP address assigned for something like your DSL modem).

If you have security problems with your LAN, you need to investigate that further with local people.

If you have other specific security concerns, you should get those addressed as well.

bearone2 said:
so i can change it to what ever i want, please tell me how.

silly me, i thought it was tied into my isp.:cool:
Well I don't think you can manually set it, but you can renew it and get a new one (from your ISP). I do this by just going to my router setup page.

I really only do this when something isn't working right.

Bob Cerelli said:
Is the LAN or WAN IP address trying to be changed.

There's not too much you can do about the WAN address other than perhaps turning off your DSL/Cable modem for a period of time (assuming you don't have a static IP address assigned for something like your DSL modem).

If you have security problems with your LAN, you need to investigate that further with local people.

If you have other specific security concerns, you should get those addressed as well.
I don't have specific concerns or problems, I was just noting that since every website you visit could log your IP, it's a good idea to change it once in a while. :)

awalker0878

Removed by request
if you are really concerned about privacy use a proxy that will *mask* your ip address so no one outside your network will know your true identity.

I do not suggest using inside corp network because it show all your traffic redirected to one ip which is pretty easy to figure out that you are using a proxy which will get you into *alot* of trouble.

SpyKiller112

This is my own computer. N one else uses it. So I have all rights. I will get the screenshot of ipconfig /all in a moment.

BTW.. This used to work. ( i havent done it in a long time so i wouldnt know if it was any kind of hardware or software that was causing it.)

to the person who said I am trying to hide something: like the others said, i am doing this becuase i have had this IP for a long time and who knows what kind of people know my IP.

awalker0878: that can be useful. but not for long term use. people use proxies when they might be going onto a site that they arent sure is secure and they dont want to take the chance of their IP getting leaked. I have Tor.

I just want a whole new IP address. That is all :)

SpyKiller112

I am connected through a wireless router and a comcast modem. A while back i did do somethign with a static IP. But that was with the belkin. Maybe if i connected my laptop to the modem directly and just toss the belkin aside for a second, that would work?

Your ip address indicates that you are connected via a router
websites will see your external ip address not, your internal one
to find out what ip address your ISP is providing to you to your router, you can go to http://whatismyip.com
the ip address that appears is your external ip that the ' internet ' sees

The current format you are using is:

IP address: 192.168.2.35
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 <=== this value stays same
default gateway 192.168.2.1 <=== this value stays same

You can statically or manually configure your NIC to use this ip information in the network properties / local area connection properties

the only number you can change on your IP address would be the last octet or the number 35 which can be changed to any number from 1 - 254

Changing this number is really pointless and will do nothing for you.
The "internet" still only sees your external IP address that your ISP currently assigns to your WAN side of the router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online