Cannot Change name in User accounts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

envii3

I just reinstalled Windows XP Professional (after a failed attempt at a newer operating system) and when I open the user accounts menu and choose change name, the window opens along with a small box saying Unspecified error. After closing it, I try to click in the area to start typing a new name, but nothing happens.

Everything else works, I can create a password, change the picture and what not. It's just the name. I am the only account (thus a computer administrator). Please help.

First Name
RWF
Click Start / Run and type in the following control userpasswords2 and click OK . Then click the Advanced tab and then the Advanced button. Then remove desired accounts, rename the administrator account and click Apply & OK.

I just reinstalled Windows XP Professional (after a failed attempt at a newer operating system) and when I open the user accounts menu and choose change name, the window opens along with a small box saying Unspecified error. After closing it, I try to click in the area to start typing a new name, but nothing happens.

Everything else works, I can create a password, change the picture and what not. It's just the name. I am the only account (thus a computer administrator). Please help.

I recommend creating a new account, migrating files and settings manually from the old to the new then deleting the old account. I can't think of a safer method.

I recommend creating a new account, migrating files and settings manually from the old to the new then deleting the old account. I can't think of a safer method.
I agree, try creating a new account and see if you can rename it, it may be something in the profile got corrupted.

I'm assuming this is not the Built-in Administrator account, as that account shouldn't have a link to change the name in the User Account control panel. It can only be renamed from Local Users and Groups, or via the Local Security Policy console.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online