1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot change screen resolution

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tnshorty, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tnshorty

tnshorty Thread Starter

Have a H.P. pavillian model 6360 dest top pc.
    upgraded to win 98 se. screwed up screen resolution. stuck in 16 color.
    Unit has
    standard PCI graphic adapter VGA
    manf- standard display types
    hardware version 104
    authentic AMD-K6 (tm) 3D processor
    190.0. meg ram
    shows two drivers c\windows\system\vga, drv
    c\windows\system\VMM32,VXD(vdd.vxd)
    performance status
    system resources 94% free
    file system 32 bit
    virtual memory 32 bit
    Disc comp not installed
    PC cards (pcmcia) no pc card slots installed.
    I cannot run recovery, old hard drive died. replaced hd, partitioned and formatted, installed windows 98 se. everything else works great, just the color and screen resolution screwed up.
    cannot connect with wireless internet due to this problem.
    I would appreciate any and all help to correct this.
    Thanks in advance

2. Augie65

Augie65

This normally happens when the drivers for your video card are not the correct ones. See if another driver will work. Check the Device Manager for the brand and check their web site of updated drivers.

3. 1069

Your specs state "Standard PCI graphic adapter VGA" which indicates that Windows does not recognise your graphics adapter.

Unless you know what type you have, you will have to take the panel off (switch off first) and take a look. There should be an identification number on the pcb of the card. If you need assistance locating the drivers post the id number here.

4. tnshorty

tnshorty Thread Starter

unit only has one card, modem. must have built in video adapter,
    divice manager list adaptor as VGA DRV
    PCI/AGP VIDEO
    SIS Intergrated video
    chip set sis 5597
    pavilion 6360
    support ID--03-7320-0000-8430 6038
    system No. D7320A
    do not have any idea what this adapter looks like , or where it is located.
    not familiar working on this type of equipment. my experince is with gas powered equipment.
    thanks

5. Augie65

Augie65

6. tnshorty

tnshorty Thread Starter

Thanks, I will download this driver and try to get it installed. Hope this solves the problem.

7. tnshorty

tnshorty Thread Starter

I tried to load the driver, but windows keeps overiding the new driver and loads the old driver. I went into device manager, and deleted the video adapter, rebooted the pc, when it asked for driver, sent to D drive.(CD) rejected cd and loaded the old drive. Could you direct me in the proper installation of this new driver.
    sorry to be so much trouble.

8. 1069

Did you delete the device from Display Adapters then reboot?

When you downloaded the new driver it was a zipped file. Did you unzip it then burn it to a cd? If you didn't unzip it - this is why Windows cannot locate it on the cd.

Where is Windows finding the "Old" drivers from?

9. tnshorty

tnshorty Thread Starter

This is the driver windows was loading for the display adaptor..
    (C:\windows\inf\msdisp.inf)
    went to device manager high lighted (standard PCI graphic adapter. vga) and removed.
    rebooted pc. finally loaded the new driver. Now Device Manager shows SIS 5597-5598 as display adapter. Now i can change screen resolution, shows to have
    16 colors
    256 colors
    High color 16 bit
    now getting error screen---- "there is a problem with your display setting. The adapter type is incorect, or the current settings do not work with your hardware"
    what did I screw up.
    Thanks

10. tnshorty

tnshorty Thread Starter

Tried to restart PC, today. I get error screen, "A fatal exception 0D has occured at
    0337:00005603: The current application will be terminated. Pc will only start in SAFE MODE.
    thanks

11. 1069

Hi again,

If installing the drivers for your graphics adapter is all that you have done to cause the Safe Mode boot....

You will probably curse me for this - but suggest that you uninstall the drivers that you loaded from device manager - this sounds very much like a driver issue still - see if system boots normally then.

12. tnshorty

tnshorty Thread Starter

I tried to uninstall driver, locked system. would not do anything... after several hours I finally got it to boot up with the boot disc, had to format the c drive to get it started back.
    Unit has black chip about 1 1/2 inches square on the mother board close to where the memory sticks are located. this chip has "SIS 5598" stamped on top. is this the display adapter. If so, downloaded drive should work. could you please give me step by step info, how to load this driver properly.
    My mother said that there would be days like this,!!!!
    Thanks

13. 1069

Yes it is the display adapter- manufactured by SIS Corporation.

Try downloading one from here: http://www.driverguide.com/

Login = drivers
    password = all ( these are old - you may want to register for updated ones )

If using these you have the option not to register and to continue.

Select Graphics cards - SIS Corporation and search for SIS 5598. Select one compatible with your system.

14. tnshorty

tnshorty Thread Starter

Have researched just about every site that hase the driver downloads, cannot find the correct download, that hp reccomends for this unit. ( SIS VGA 5598 1.0 driver). Can anyone help me find this driver. The ones listed on DriverGuide locks the system when installed.
    Thanks

15. Gingermum

Gingermum

I've been having exactly the same problems, word for word as described above. I've googled the problem and is quite common with no solution. Then I saw one guy who eventually got another graphic card for $1. So I had an old computer and took the card out of that. I now I have my 256 colors back after wasting most of a day pulling my hair out.
    Perhaps you've got some friends throwing out an old PC - or try ebay!
    As a note: I also ran the diagnostic test from the SiS web site. It told me I didn't have a Sis graphic card, (based on info provided by motherboard manufacturer) but I know that I do.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice