1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot change settings in BIOS or CMOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by josey, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. josey

josey Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to change the settings in BIOS CMOS, but when I arrow to Load Optimized Defaults and try to save by hitting F10 and I choose Y to save and exit there is no way out except to hit enter but the settings don't change.

I posted some time ago about trying to fix a problem with this computer for my friend because when it booted up it showed white text on a black screen. I think that is the MBR but not sure. It shows on the first page F1 and del and sometimes loads a lot of what look like drivers but I am not sure, now it's seems to just show the first page with F1 and de. I hit F1 anf it loads to Windows. I brought the computer back to my place to try and fix this issue because my friend said that sometimes the screen just goes black and she can't do anything. That hasn't happened to me in almost a week when I turn it on. However, I thought a repair would do the trick but haven't tried yet. I am wondering if I change the boot menu in BIOS it might get rid of the first screen for her before Windows loads. I just thought before I do the repair I should maybe try the BIOS CMOS settings but can't change anything there.

Also, I know now that I have to uninstall IE8 before doing a repair but can't seem to find an answer about "do I also delete the IE updates in add/remove " or do they automatically go?. Do I have to do anything else before the repair, like uninstalling IE6 if it is there and if not do I install IE6 before reinstalling IE8 again.
    Sorry for long post but I don't want to make another mistake. I did a repair on my friend's old computer and didn't kmow I had to uninstall her IE7, now she cannot use it and at the moment is using firefox. But that computer's D drive (tray) doesn't open unless she sticks a pin in and even then doesn't write, it will read. She wants the computer I have here and will try to fix as the D drive works and DVD drive. Sooo in short should I try to take out the battery and wait for 30 minutes and out back, is that likely to fix the boot up problem before windows, or should I do a repair.
    thank you.
    Josey.

2. josey

josey Thread Starter

not sure if my pic uploaded, wanted to dhow what I see when I put my windows CD in try snd do a repair as I don't l\know which option to choose,
    Josey

Attached Files:

3. josey

josey Thread Starter

I see it's uploaded. Would you please tell me if I should remove IE8 before doing a repair, and does IE6 stay there.
    Josey

4. josey

josey Thread Starter

Why doesn't anyone answer me?
    Josey.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!