1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot change to destination folder.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Saurian, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saurian

Saurian Thread Starter

Have spent days trying to find any information concerning my problem, but had found none that helped.

The actual problem is that my .NET Framework 1.1 stopped functioning after I have created a second user on my PC and blocked the both of the drives (/:C and /:D) in order to stop Guests from browsing it. Before that, there were no problems whatsoever.

To fix the problem I have followed all the guides that I have been able to find on Microsoft Site and also sites like this one. I have managed to remove .NET Framework from my Add/Remove Program list (update disappeared by itself later). Then I have tried reinstalling it by downloading all the possible versions from 1.0 to 1.1.4. Could not install any of them due to the fact that the setup doesn't initialise and instead gives me a message saying "Cannot change to destination folder". Obviously the updates are not working becaue there is no 1.0 or 1.1 installed.

Have tried downloading the Windows Installer Clean up tool, but no luck there either. The same message is popping up.

Have tried installing other programs, not Microsoft related, worked fine, no messages.

For the first time in my life I have hit the wall while working with windows, is it the case of reinstalling the whole thing?

Thank you in advance

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Is there a reason you need need framework 1.1?

3. Saurian

Saurian Thread Starter

Well, that's a tricky question ^__^
    I don't need it to survive but I do need it to run certain applications, embarrasing to say but in this case it is the Lotr online :D.

Anyway, seems like the problem is not only with .net frmwrk but with the process of it's removal/installation. And for example, I cannot install windows installer clean up utility and god knows what else.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. sid_tech

sid_tech

Hi Saurian,

As Mumbodog advised perform a system restore and instead of locking the drive C: it would be better if you lock all the private folders or you can cut+paste all the folders into a new one and then just lock one folder will give you privacy.

Regards
    Sid
    www.onlinetechnician.net

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Since you messed with security settings on your C drive, you may have to reset it to the defaults. Read here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

It is generally not advisable to change the folder permissions at the root of a drive, but only to change it per folder.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice