1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot check for new Windows Updates!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WalshSean, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

When I load up my Windows Update link I get an "error on page" message in the bottom left hand corner of my browser. If I refresh the page I can sometimes get it to move ahead to the custom/express install page, but I cannot get any further and actually check for updates.

What is the meaning of this?!
    Is this a problem with their site or my computer?
    Last time I got any updates was that day a few weeks ago where they had 10-20 new updates.

Help! :confused:

2. physician

physician

Are you using internet explorer? What OS are you using? These are a few of the important things we need to know...doc

3. jeffdc

jeffdc

Sounds silly but is your system date/time correct?

4. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

Windows XP, IE 6.0. Sorry... :p

System time/date should be correct...........but y'know, I never remember getting a message saying that the time changed on my computer this weekend. I don't think I've gotten that message in a long time, if ever (and this update problem is only relatively recent so maybe my XP doesn't do that?). I'll check that when I get home today...

5. jeffdc

jeffdc

What is the error by the way?

6. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

Working from memory, so I apologize for any fuzziness: when I clicked on the "error on page" icon (the yellow triangle w/ exclamation point one), it said something about "permission denied" to a certain link on the page......

7. jeffdc

jeffdc

8. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

This link appears to address my problem; however it doesn't seem to fix it....

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click the Internet icon.
    3. Click the Connection tab.
    Note To access the auto-configuration settings for Internet Explorer version 5.0 and later, click the LAN Settings button on the Connection tab.
    4. In the Automatic Configuration box, click the Configure button.
    5. Remove the text in the URL text box.
    6. Click OK, and then click OK again.

Since I'm using IE6.0 I have to go to the LAN Settings button under the Connection tab, which means step #4 is a little different - there is no Configure button, just 2 options to checkmark.......however nothing is checkmarked off under automatic configuration, nor is there any URL address in the text box.

FYI, in the error message, it mentions this URL:
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/splash.aspx?page=0&ln=en-us

(This isn't the one I have saved to check for updates, by the way...)

9. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

I've done some more searching on the Windows Support site, and actually found what appears to be my problem - "permission denied" while trying to access the Microsoft Windows update site.

The solution was to either (a) register urlmon.dll or (b) reset my security settings because ActiveX controls were being restricted too much. I did both.................and it *still* doesn't work.

I cannot possibly understand why Microsoft's own solution does not work, but I REALLY need to update my computer with the proper security updates and really can't justify even using my computer if I can't do that. Sounds dumb, I know, but over the last few months I've literally had several panic attacks because of problems with viruses and hijacks that have befallen my computer. And I just can't deal with this anymore.

I don't have the money to have people fix it all the time, which is why I rely on helpful online forums like this one. But it sounds like I'm gonna have to do that...or just unplug the damn thing and live a better life for myself some other way.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!