Cannot Clone Drive, but Good in FSUTIL

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MS-JustLetMeBE

JP
Hello, I am new here and it looks like a good place to be. I am so sick of babysitting and fighting with my HP 350 G1 running 8.1 PRO. I am in the process now of compressing all of my files and transferring them over to storage device although I purchased another hard drive yesterday but, unable to clone my hard drive using a purchased download of Aoemi. .
So, i press the power button and LOCKING appeared on the screen. I immediately removed power and battery and held down the button and when I powered it up, I get the unhappy face message about how Microsoft has hijacked my laptop and is scanning for hard drive failures. Not, exactly what it said but you probably know the message. So, I ended up running CHKDSK /F/R and it ran for 10 hours processing 610,000 files around 10k of them were large files. I have a TB hardrive and well since I ran the command to fix it, windows did remove some index entries, replaced 4 bad clusters, and finally my laptop booted up. I started to clone the drive and it got to 95% and stopped twice I tried to clone and once the error had was 220 something to do with the NTFS and the other error was 4118. When I ran chkdsk again there was still a bad cluster 924Kb that apparently Windows cannot fix.

I get getting caught in the loop trying to get into the recovery options and finally I got to the screen where it says I could refresh, so I started to do this but decided not to.

Anyhow, I did some troubleshooting myself and when I used FSUTIL and ran the volume allocation report, checked for a dirty bt set, and check the status of drive and all is clean and does not indicate that there is a bad sector. Ran diskpart and it came back odd looking. Because I have run it before and I know what it is supposed to look like. So, I can only check the status of C , I have not tried to access the recovery drive. WIll attach some screen shots and see what you may think. I appreaciate any advice. Sometimes only my desktop shows up and I cannot see anything such as the drives or anything else. I am afraid to power cycle now because i still have a lot of files to remove.

Attachments

Professionalgirl

Tina
Account Closed
Hello, I am new here and it looks like a good place to be. I am so sick of babysitting and fighting with my HP 350 G1 running 8.1 PRO. I am in the process now of compressing all of my files and transferring them over to storage device although I purchased another hard drive yesterday but, unable to clone my hard drive using a purchased download of Aoemi. .
So, i press the power button and LOCKING appeared on the screen. I immediately removed power and battery and held down the button and when I powered it up, I get the unhappy face message about how Microsoft has hijacked my laptop and is scanning for hard drive failures. Not, exactly what it said but you probably know the message. So, I ended up running CHKDSK /F/R and it ran for 10 hours processing 610,000 files around 10k of them were large files. I have a TB hardrive and well since I ran the command to fix it, windows did remove some index entries, replaced 4 bad clusters, and finally my laptop booted up. I started to clone the drive and it got to 95% and stopped twice I tried to clone and once the error had was 220 something to do with the NTFS and the other error was 4118. When I ran chkdsk again there was still a bad cluster 924Kb that apparently Windows cannot fix.

I get getting caught in the loop trying to get into the recovery options and finally I got to the screen where it says I could refresh, so I started to do this but decided not to.

Anyhow, I did some troubleshooting myself and when I used FSUTIL and ran the volume allocation report, checked for a dirty bt set, and check the status of drive and all is clean and does not indicate that there is a bad sector. Ran diskpart and it came back odd looking. Because I have run it before and I know what it is supposed to look like. So, I can only check the status of C , I have not tried to access the recovery drive. WIll attach some screen shots and see what you may think. I appreaciate any advice. Sometimes only my desktop shows up and I cannot see anything such as the drives or anything else. I am afraid to power cycle now because i still have a lot of files to remove.
Hi MS-JustLetMeBe, Welcome to the forum! :)

Are you sure that you have enough space in the new drive to complete the operation? Some possible reasons your new drive is stuck at 95% are either due to a lack of space, the drive may waiting for a confirmation or the drive you purchased may not be compatible with your current drive or it is possible that Windows 8.1 does not support drive cloning.

I would check with the computer manufacturer's website and view the specs to ensure you have the correct hard drive and the correct format is used when cloning.

Based on the chkdsk the volume is still dirty and needs thoroughly cleaned before you can clone the drive. You may have no choice but to power cycle if you want the cloning to be successful or you may need to refresh your operating system to correct all errors and file corruption if any and try again.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online