1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Collect GMail with Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alex Ethridge, Jun 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I am trying to help a friend integrate both his RoadRunner and GMail accounts into Thunderbird and his problem is with GMail.

Firstly, I have verified we are using the correct user name and password by logging into GMail on the web. I have opened my Thunderbird and his Tuunderbird side-by-side and compared the settings to be identical. I have also opened his GMail "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" and mine side-by-side and those settings are identical also. Mine works and his doesn't.

I have tried all of the suggestions on this page to no avail.

I have also done screen captures of my settings and his so you can see they are identical. These are his screen shots. Mine will be in my next post.

Attached Files:

2. Alex Ethridge

My screen capatures:

Attached Files:

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The first attachment in post # 1 is showing some kind of password issue. If the password is being supplied by Thunderbird delete it and try again (you'll have to type the password and then allow it to be saved).

4. Alex Ethridge

There are many e-mail client errors that will return an incorrect-password-type message. We are using the correct password as it works when accessing web mail. Also, I have deleted the account in Thunderbird and recreated it -- again with the correct password. I even attempted setting up his account on my own Thunderbird with identical settings to my own. My GMail account works and his does not.

I think the most significant clue is the "web login required" part of the message. In my researching this problem, I have been taken to a few settings in the Google Mail account that don't appear on the settings page. To get to them, you just gotta' know they are there or have stumbled across links to them purely by accident. One such setting is one that allows devices that don't support modern security settings. Another is one that turns off a requirement for two-step verification. Then another is a setting that allows access from unfamiliar devices or locations.

Again, none of the above items were visible or even hinted at in "Settings" for this GMail account.

So, I think what needs fixing here is not on the client. It is in Google on the web somewhere. We just haven't found it.

5. Alex Ethridge

I found a "Devices Activity" page for this account. It says it is blocking access from certain devices, clients, browsers and locations but offers no opportunity to unblock them.

6. JCott

JCott

7. storage_man

storage_man

Alex - I have T-bird and it accesses GMAIL with no issues, but I use IMAP instead of POP. Have you tried using IMAP ?

8. Alex Ethridge

We gave up on it some time back. He decided to abandon the GMail account after so much frustration and go with his Bright House mail instead.

And no we didn't try IMAP as he wanted POP so he could store his mail permanently on his computer.

I'm goint to mark this thread solved although it is not; I don't want anyone wasting time on it. Thanks for the replies.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1149491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice