1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot communicate w/ primary DNS server (209.18.47.61)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MeBJammin, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MeBJammin

MeBJammin Thread Starter

A few days ago I noticed a problem with the family wireless Linksys-N router. For some reason (no idea) the router had reset, the name was no longer showing up in broadcasting networks and in its place was the default linksys with an unsecured notice. I managed to connect to the router and reestablish the settings that were in place so that the two laptops and the desktop that use the wireless connected without having to mess with their settings.
    Today the desktop is not getting the same speeds as it was before this little debacle and is only intermittently able to connect to the internet. The laptops are fine, working at the same speeds and with no connective issues. While the desktop displays an active connection to the router and to the internet it takes a very long time for pages to load if they load at all (which usually results in the display of a "cannot connect to site" with a retry button or the page comes across without the graphics or chunks of information missing, the former coming up as fast as the pages used to load).
    When I run a diagnose/repair through windows it comes up with the error:
    "Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server (209.18.47.61)"
    or nothing... huh. :confused:
    Running that check again right now has revealed no errors. However the connection is still slow.
    I have looked at all the posts concerning this subject that I could find on this site and tried the line
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    as well as adding/removing/resetting settings in the DHCP properties involving the IPv4 and v6.
    I suppose if the problem is a dead issue then this will just be a vague dream before long, however the speed is still bugging me as it is not back to what it was (and I am an avid gamer who needs the most out of the system).
    Any ideas, or if i need to try and post some information up, let me know. Thank you.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Have you tried safe mode with networking ?
    Any difference ?
    And do all the pc's use the same dns server ipaddress ?

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Try 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary in the IPv4 settings and see if it makes any difference or what kind of error you get then. Those are Google's DNS servers.

4. MeBJammin

MeBJammin Thread Starter

@fairnooks: I set up what you suggested (figured out how from another post somewhere) and so the Diagnose/Repair function is currently not returning a problem. the wireless desktop is connecting to the internet again, however the connection is still pretty slow (thus I am using a laptop for diagnostic feedback).

@pedroguy: yeah, i'm not that tech savvy. Any hints on how to go about getting that information or what to navigate in safemode (the "with Networking" version I haven't ever used)?

Update: connection is still intermittent and slower than it was before the undiagnosed reset of the router but only on the desktop that uses wireless. the connection and speed seems to be fine on the two laptops and smart phone connected to the wireless, the plugged in desktop is also fine (but its old so slow regardless).
    Also, while potentially unrelated, the land line phones also cut out on us this evening (both the internet and phone are provided by the same company, along with cable TV which we were watching with out pause). phones were out for maybe an hour or so. Any point in contacting the service provider?

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

safe mode with networking.
    Keep hitting pf 8 as you restart.You will get safe mode options.Pick with networking.
    The screens will look weird,but that's ok.

6. MeBJammin

MeBJammin Thread Starter

Okay, I am sure I can get into Safemode with Networking, but what should I try when I get there?

I had been successfully using "8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary in the IPv4 settings" until this morning when the same issues started to crop up. So i switched back to automatic as this is probably not the issue.
    The computer also is occasionally reporting that it can't connect because it's "out of range" or "has low signal" both of which are crazy due to the fact that neither the desktop nor the router have moved and they used to be able to talk. The internet keeps dropping, coming back, slowing way down, returning to normal.
    Should I maybe try to fully reset the router? Start from scratch with the hopes that I can set it back up and it talks to my desktop again?

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

The fact that other laptops are not affected,would for me,say it is not a router issue.But what I might do is see if there is a current firmware update for the router.
    I also might go to the desktop makers web site and download the most current adapter driver.If this an add on wireless adapter,to the makers web site and do the same.
    Also,if an add on wireless adapter,make sure that you have only one wireless manager running.Windows default,or the wireless adapter manager,but not both.Both running can cause conflicts and flakey issues on the wireless connection.
    The idea behind safe mode with networking,would be to see if the same problem exists in that mode.That will tell us whether or not this is an application/program issue .
    Just for info can I see this when slow ?
    Wifi test exe. Hint from Johnwill

Download and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspecto from
    www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    on the problem machine. Post a screen shot of the main screen here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button
    to upload it here.

Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

8. MeBJammin

MeBJammin Thread Starter

should be the screen capture you were asking for, as its current best. when it screws me over again I'll see if i can capture it again and post when it returns.
    I don't use the linksys manager so the only one running should be the default windows one.
    I am looking into the frameware update for my addon adapter.

Thank you for the help.

Attached Files:

9. pedroguy

pedroguy

A "robust" signal strength is defined as -70 and below.Let's see it when "slow"

10. MeBJammin

MeBJammin Thread Starter

good to know. I'll see if it goes above -70 (its at -74 so i suspect you are looking for something like -60 if i am following the opposite of "-70 and below" direction correctly).
    as far as i can tell my drivers are up to date, its an older adapter so there wasn't much in the way of updates.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes; -60 good; -74 not so good. :)

See if you can reposition the computer or router a little bit to get a stronger signal. Remember if either antenna is a "stick type" that the weakest signal is along the axis and the strongest is perpendicular to the axis.

12. MeBJammin

MeBJammin Thread Starter

Diagnose/Repair is not returning a problem and the Xirrus monitoring thing still says -74 BUT all the web pages are failing. "Server not found" errors on firefox tabs.

Attached Files:

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If other computers are having the same issues then it's probably time for a new router. If only this one computer has the issue then it's probably time to try another wireless adapter. Clearly it would be good if you could borrow a router and/or adapter to test further before spending any money.

14. MeBJammin

MeBJammin Thread Starter

Well, i suppose it is a hardware problem. I can't find my better router (its in storage somewhere).
    I was not using the desktop for a few days, then I came back and the internet was fine, perfect, for a few days (and all last night while downloading/pre-loading Portal 2) to once again get all persnickety again.
    Is it possible that it may be an over heating issue? my room doesn't vent worth a damn and it gets really hot (especially with the computer on and in the middle of the day).
    Anyway, posting up a pic. It's a different error message than the last time there was trouble (though it eventually reverts to the same one and renew/reset do nothing).

Attached Files:

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, heat could be a factor. Note that the signal was weaker in that last Xirrus screen shot.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice