1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot complete SCAN

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by vcs7578, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vcs7578

vcs7578 Thread Starter

The problem I am describing here started about a month ago. I have DELL purchased in 2002. It is windows XP. I have installed Microsoft Office 2003.
    The computer got awefully slow about a few months ago, I successfully cleaned up with microsoft onecare. The performance improved. So, I decided to followup with repeat application. Suddenly, while scanning, the computer froze. So, I could not move the mouse to "cancel" or "fix". I had to manually shut down the computer. I was advised to download "Kaspersky" to clean up the computer. Same thing happenned with this scanning. I noticed that when the computer ceased, both with MS and Kaspersky, it was at file
    c:\windows\softwaredistribution\......\winword.cab
    Since I did not experience such problem for over 5 years, I assumed this may have been one of the automatic updates. I had hoped that another update will take care of this problem. So, I tried after another 15 days. The same situation repeated. In confusion and frustration, I just keep doing whatever I am told(am not computer savvy) and thus have
    have collected Ad-Aware, Kaspersky, AVG on my computer.
    I tried to google search for "winword.cab", but with my limited ability, I could not interprete much.
    How do I overcome the problem?

-- Why the scanning process quits at the same file?
    -- Is there any problem with winword.cab? This is hidden file, so does not appear in the C:\ windows folder. Is there any patch for this?
    -- The Microsoft Word is really behaving strange. It takes a long time to open, sometimes, I need to try again.
    -- I don't use computer as much - mainly for Email. I go to very few limited sites, don't ever try to open strange Email, or so called free gifts. I search internet for some information opnce in a while. So, I am a very cautious user.
    -- Thanks for your help in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice