1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot complete the CD Writing Wizard.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rainforest123, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rainforest123

rainforest123 Thread Starter

Cannot complete the CD Writing Wizard.
    There was an error in the writing process.

I am unable to create a CD-R disk, using Windows XP's built in CD burning software. I am trying to place text & image files, total < 200 MB .

HOWEVER, I can create a music cd using Windows Media Player

After formatting a CD-RW disk, on the PC in question, using XP's formatting tool, I received the same error message when I tried to put files on a CD-RW disk. Thus I do not think that http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_883523.aspx applies.

Windows XP Home SP2
    Dell Dimension 2400
    P4, duo core 2.4 GHZ
    384 MB
    40 GB, > 25% free
    Norton Internet Security 2005, up to date; no viruses detected

The PC shipped with ONLY a CD player. DVD dual layer Sony burner was installed 18 Jan 2006. Upgrade to XP SP2 occurred Nov 2004.

I have ensured that "enable CD Recording on this drive" is checked.

I set IMAPI service to automatic. I started it. I set recovery for 1st, 2nd & 3rd to "restart the service". But, after trying to create a CD-R disk, IMAPI is "unstarted".

Nothing noted in event viewer > system, nor applications.

Nothing noted system info > software environ > windows error reporting.

I am using the XP burning software because I installed Nero 7 Ultimate & burning failed. I have contacted Nero multiple times on this issue, via email & their online tech support form. They responded only twice. They did not address this issue.

I have posted the nero.exe issue at this forum, but have not had any replies during the 7+ days since I posted here.

RF123

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Even though you can successfully create a music or audio CD,
    there could be something wrong with the burner itself.

if the CD wizard starts, and you can select files and it works up to the point where it "cannot write", it must be something wrong with the drive, or the CDs themselves. If you've tried other brands, or speeds of CDs, I apologize...but have you?

Have you tried ordinary documents or perhaps the setup files for a program, do they give the same error?

Don't know if you can set the speed of the burn process lower with the XP wizard like you can with 3rd party software...?

This link may help> is it at the point where you go to select files to burn, or after you get them all set to burn, and try to write that the error comes up?

http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=101758&rl=1

Can you test the drive in another computer? With XP, or with an older OS plus something like Nero or Adaptec software? That might help rule out a defective burner. Someone may have flashed the firmware for the drive at some point, it can give problems...did you buy it brand new?

3. rainforest123

Byteman:
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324129/EN-US/#XSLTH3195121123120121120120, I tried
    To remove and reinstall the device driver for the CD-R drive or the CD-RW drive:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
    3. Click the drive that uses the driver you want to remove.
    4. On the Action menu, click Uninstall.

When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.
    5. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

The "sampublishing.com" article is well detailed, but added nothing. Thanks for the effort, Bman.

I have tried various "name brand" CD- R & CD-RW disks.

I have tried garden variety text documents.

I have set the burning speed from "fastest" to 8x.

I have run every Nero 6 & 7 clean up tool I can find.

Yes, I have a different PC with XP SP2. I will swap burners.

I have cloned the original to a "test drive" on which I am working.

If the drive switching fails, I'll uninstall XP SP2.

NO, I WILL NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have verified that the problem is not the burner, because I have discovered a work around to creating a data CD.

Byteman, I hope I can find out how to fix the XP CD burning issue of this thread.

I haven't fixed the XP burning issue, but I now have Nero 7 Ultimate working, to the point where I can create a data CD

Start Smart > applications > nero express > create data disk > data cd

Previous post:
    http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/446089-problem-nero-7-ultra.html

I think my success is related to:
    1. having run Cleanup4;
    2. running every Nero 6 & 7 cleanup tool I could find;
    3. downloading & installing the latest version of Nero 7.

RF123

4. rainforest123

Let me clairfy: NO, I WILL NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a Eureka moment! I had determined that the drive functioned. Thus, there was / is no need to swap out burners.

I apologize for not clearly stating my thougths.

RF123

5. Byteman

Hi, Glad you have found that the burner is working.
    Try getting all the latest updates for Nero, or is that what you meant? Even the latest version, just installed, might have newer updates for you- check by looking in the Nero tabs for an Update link, and it should find them automatically at the nero site for you.

6. rainforest123

Dear Byteman:
    I am still not able to create a CD, using Windows XP's built in CD burning utility.

HOWEVER, the burner works, when using Nero 6 OEM.

When using Nero Ultimate 7, when trying to create a data CD, the nero.exe has experienced problems error message appears.

I figured out a way to create a data cd using nero 7, but the PC's owner isn't satisified with the work around. I don't blame the owner. The owner intends to return Nero 7 Ultimate to Nero, for a refund.

At this point, I have a work around that satisifes the PC owner.

But the topic of this thread is still unresolved.

RF123

7. Byteman

The Nero type software has better features.... why would they care about XP's minimal CD burning?

Some burners just don't get along with the native XP CD burning feature.

The newer versions of Nero are geared more toward XP, and some other trivia I found here:

[I have removed a link I had here, as I did not notice some off color remarks in a Google Groups thread and that was brought to my attention just now...
    RF123> That "pmarlow" person that posted that crap was NOT the same legitimate profiled pmarlow that posted the legitimate question at that Google Groups thread....they do that all the time, posing as a user..sigh...anyway, I was asking if by chance you had posted the LEGITIMATE question there....]

8. rainforest123

B:
    I don't expect Nero to care about Windows XP's burning utility. I mentioned nero because I had tried to install Nero 7 Ultimate, but was unable to burn CDs using Nero 7 Ultimate, so I tried to create a CD using XP's built in CD burning software.

Brief Summary:
    Prior to 18 Jan 2006, PC has ONLY CD player; no optical burner. No 3rd party optical disk burner software installed on PC.
    18 Jan 2006, installed Sony DVD dual layer burner.
    18 Jan 2006, installed Nero 7 Ultimate on PC.
    When trying to create a CD, nero error message.

Multiple contacts to Nero go unanswered.

Feb 2006, I attempted to burn a CD using Windows XP's built in CD burning software.
    That fails, with error message of: Cannot complete the CD Writing Wizard.
    There was an error in the writing process.

RF123

9. rainforest123

I verified that the Sony Dual Layer burner is on the Windows XP HCL.

RF123

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!