1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect a pc in our network wirelessly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by phixgrrrl, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

I was setting up my dad's new pc in the basement, (installed some web plugins that were missing for the browser, tried to set up outlook but yahoo mail will not do that unless its yahoo "plus") and the internet was already set up with a wireless usb adapter, which was working (found the network and connected ok, tho a weak-ish or "fair" signal, since this pc is in the basement and the router is in my bedroom, however that's never really been any problem.
    Then today it will not connect; it asks for the password, which I type in, but it can't connect; it shows the signal strength as fair and its finding the network router (2wire) but won't connect. I reset the router, still nothing. The other pc connected wirelessly, in the kitchen, shows up fine. And I know there's a signal in the basement.
    What should I do? Is there any other info you need? Should I try re-installing the drivers/software for the usb adapter?

2. warrior19

warrior19

http://www.gaebler.com/Deals-Buy-Computers-Phone-Power-Line-NICS.htm

Others on this forum will say they hate my suggestion but I used Powerline Adapters to extend network connection to far away sections of my home.

I am using Homeplug but Netgear and Linksys make good ones.

See the list on the websites above. This will provide a fixed wired connection via the power sockets in your home.

As mentioned before keep the receipt in case it does not work. I messed about for days/weeks trying to get a good signal bur a pair of powerline adapters worked 1st time and no issues in over 2 years.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm one of those guys that couldn't get these things to work for love nor money! :D

4. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

So you think its the adapter? But it was working fine yesterday. I reinstalled the software. I saw the little lower icon change from the non-connected computers to the little bars that indicate the signal...kinda went back and forth a few times, then settled on the non-connection.
    You think maybe switching the one in the kitchen pc w/this one would help? The one in the basement is a Belkin.
    I'm no expert by any means and by helping him I've become tech support and if I don't know the answer, I get yelled at (that's just the kind of awesome guy he is) so any answer asap would help.
    I swear he'd be LOST without me here.

5. warrior19

warrior19

Hi Phixgrrrl.

I was suggesting a different solution to wireless by using Powerline Adapters that are like a fixed cable from Bedroom to Basement. Would save you getting yelled at I think :)

Otherwise yes try swapping the Belkin with the other PC. I am not Belkin's biggest fan and have had loads of friends/people see issues.

Not always Belkin's fault! Most of thier products work but usually shorter range or basic features only. Big house, A Wirless N router would be best from Linksys or Netgear.

6. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Something that might help.

If you have the 2-Wire positioned as in the first picture, sit it as shown in the second picture.

When mounted as shown in the first picture, the antennae are almost vertical and the areas of weakest transmission and reception or above and below the modem.

Attached Files:

7. warrior19

warrior19

Would be?

8. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Sorry, hit the wrong button. See edit.

9. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

Yes I saw the post about the wired solution. I suppose I'll try that if I can't get this to work. And I do have the router positioned as in the 2nd pic already.
    I'll try swapping them and see if that helps...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890212